Topic: New Fret Job

This last week I decided that one of my old guitars had more potential than I gave it.  It was only playable up to the 9th fret. After that it fretted out on every fret up to 20. I acquired this 1964? Silvertone 1413 as part of a trade for a motorcycle.. The neck was pretty warped but the pickup was awesome so i tuned it to open G and played it that way with a slide all  summer.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4077/4927255555_2c693aae59.jpg
I finally decided that this guitar had more potential than that.  I unbolted the neck and tried to determine what I had to do to take the warp out of it (the truss rod was maxed out). Normally, you would remove the fret board and plane the the sub-neck flat and reattach the fretboard.  I took some initial measurements and realized that the fret board was almost 5/16" thick Rosewood.  I determined that I could plane the fretboard flat without removing it from the neck.. So, I removed the original brass frets from it and attached some sand paper to a flat stainless table that I have in my garage.  I sanded the fretboard until it was completely flat, re-radiused it (by eye) and ordered new frets from Stewmac.com.  I had a small Japanese saw that I had purchased from Home Depot years ago and used it to deepen the fret slots where it was needed. I also purchased some  flush cutter pliers from stewmac.com.  I refretted this guitar in about 4 hours.  Its actually easier than you would think. The important thing is to have a straight neck to begin with.  There was quite a bit of filing with jewelers files to take off sharp edges and stuff, but you really can do this yourself and save a ton of money in the process.  This guitar is now tuned in standard E and is one heck of a lead guitar!

Now available in 5G !

Re: New Fret Job

Awesome work tam