1 (edited by kcoby 2008-10-21 11:55:36)

Topic: You Never Even Call Me By My Name (Steve Goodman? David Allan Coe?)

I have a version of this song (not sure of the artist) that mentions the "Possum Eating Cowboys" during the spoken part. There are several tabs and chords done for this song but none for this version and none that tab the spoken portion. Does anyone have a tab for the entire song (spoken part also) for this version? Can someone tell me the actual artist?

Re: You Never Even Call Me By My Name (Steve Goodman? David Allan Coe?)

i believe it's David allan Coe

YeeHaw! the Lunaticcowgirl writes again!

The chords in this song are easy C, F, G, Am.  But does anyone know the very short (2 - 3 note) riffs at the end of each line?

Does this help you out any  http://www.e-chords.com/chords/david-al … sy-version
JV

Nice link, but I already have the chords.  If you listen to DAC's version there is a lot of extra embellishment at the end of each line.  If I have enough time, I guess I'll have to just try to figure it out, but I'm not that experienced at that.

The only notes I hear at the end of each line are played over the rhythm guitar.... It'd be hard to work that in just right and keep the rhythm sounding good with just one guitar... (imo)  If you just want it to sound more interesting, try adding in the quick switch/shuffle strum on G7 and C7 when playing the G and C chords like he does... He does a lot of small changes in the song like substituting C/E occasionally instead of just C, etc...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

C7 helps a lot and works well where the next line starts with an F.  I'll work with the other suggestions.