Topic: practice tips

As a beginner, are there any practice tips to me become a better player?  Should I first focus on chords or strumming or scales?  Should I just try to play songs?  Not sure which direction to take to make me improve and sound better.  Any advice is appreciated!

Re: practice tips

There are very good practice routines for beginners on www.justinguitar.com.  To be clear, I have no affiliation with that site except being a pleased user.  The main thing to do is to practice CORRECTLY.  Do not practice bad habits into your playing and routine.  Also, regardless of what you choose to practice, do it slowly enough that you can do it ACCURATELY.  Do not practice inaccurate playing.  Speed comes AFTER accuracy.  Accuracy first.  Also, practice with a metronome so that timing gets ingrained to your brain. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi junas good to see you on the forum,I think you should do some of all the things you mentioned in your post,mix them up alittle and maybe play an easy song to begin with after your practice. Some of the other people will chime in here soon and give you there input, do what you feel best with and practice and be patient.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Welcome, Junas. Best advice I can give is to take things nice and slow as you will continue to learn as long as you play a guitar - YEARS!-Do not worry about not being able to play a song until you have learned the ability to form your chords correctly, change betewwn cords cleanly and learned the fingerings for scales. Learn the open chords 1st. - A, C, D, E and G - these chords are all you will ever need to play thousands of songs. Learn the 7 chords - A7, C7, D7, E7 and G7. (B7 is also an easy chord to learn) Learn the minor chords - Am, Bm, Dm, Em (these are easy). Learn the chord progressions - again there are thousands of songs the need only 2 or 3 chords to play. After you have these open chords down you can begin learning some scales - Major Penatonic Scale and the Minor Pentatonic Scales will be a good way to start.

Again, take things nice and slow - learn the techinque - remember you gotta crawl before you can walk and walk before you can run.

Nela

Have a goal, every time you sit down.  "Today, I'm going to practice G to C in the open position until I can do it cleanly."  "Today, I'm going to practice major scales until my hands cramp."

If you do that, you'll always have something to do, and you can measure your progress.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I'm going to follow your advice,  I thank everyone for the input!

Sometimes focus your practice on the strum hand.  It seems when starting out all the talent is in the fretting hand, but when you get to a point where you don't think you're getting better work on the strumming and picking even if you're not actually playing a song.

Get a capo, then you can play the easy cords in different keys