Topic: OK, Please Finish This Chord Progression...

The very end of "With A Little Help From My Friends" (in "D")

"Yes, I get [C] by with a little help from my [G] with a little help from my __________________."

The chords kind of slide down the scale as Ringo struggles to hold out "frieeeeeeeeeends."  What exactly, are these eight chords before the final "D"?

Peace and Looove

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

2 (edited by Stonebridge 2010-10-01 08:36:09)

Re: OK, Please Finish This Chord Progression...

It's a while since I last heard that song but I seem to remember that, in this key, it's just Bb (4 beats) G (4 beats) back to D
There is an 8 note counter melody sliding down and sung by one of the other Beatles over Ringo's held top note, but it goes with the chords I've suggested. No need for 8 different chords. How does it sound?

>>>>How does it sound?<<<<<

I think it's close, but I'd really like the full set of changes to the counter melody you described, as that's what I usually sing (to avoid having to hold out that long "frieeeeeeeeeeeeends" note!)

Thanks, Stonebridge

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

4 (edited by Russell_Harding 2010-10-01 14:01:36)

I think the song is in E and on the end the free>>>>>>> is just C 4 beats D 4 beats and ends on E and as mentioned the counter melody notes are E D C B (decending) for the C chord and D C B A (decending) for the D chord 1 beat each note and ends on a E chord  I have played this a few times and it works for me smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Yes Russell.
I just had a listen and you are right.
In the key PapaTom is playing it, that would be Bb for 4 beats and C for 4 beats and back to D
There are only those chords in the harmony. The counter melody sings over them.

Dang...now I've gotta deal with playing the much-loathed Bb on my uke.  Thanks, guys!

PapaTom wrote:

Dang...now I've gotta deal with playing the much-loathed Bb on my uke.  Thanks, guys!

No you don't.  Only if you want to get it "right", and you won't.  That's not an insult, it's just that the Beatles didn't have a ukelele player.  Therefore you HAVE to interpret.  So, play anything in key and SING LOUD. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Actually, I've been fooling around with a Bb that's an octave up and A LOT easier to finger.  It doesn't work for everything, but in this case, while everybody in the room's neck veins are popping out as they try to hit that note on "frieeeeeeeeeeends," I can sneak it in!

I'd rather have had the whole chord progression, but you guys have convinced me it probably wouldn't be as effective as just hanging on two chords and squawking out that last Ringo note for two bars.  But hey, what would YOU think if I sang out of tune?  Would you stand up and...

Papa that is the whole progression, there are only two chords and the counter melodies are sung over the two chord changes sort of counterpoint harmony the chords go up and the melodie go's down this is a hard song for a uke to get that full sounding ending do the best you can with it be Creative!!! smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Zurf wrote:

play anything in key and SING LOUD. 

- Zurf

Dang straight.  Quote this:  Anything sounds right if you sing loud enough.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

>>>>Anything sounds right if you sing loud enough.<<<<<

OK, so screw the chord changes.  It's my SINGING I need to work on?