Topic: parlor guitar..

help!  i am inbetween guitar sizes... i have very small hands and body and started on with a child size guitar.  the body and frets fit perfectly only when making chords my fingers would hit the strings below where they shouldn't touch. 

someone suggested buying a parlor guitar which did give me lots of room between the strings.  the only problem with this one is that the frets are so much bigger that after months and months of trying i still can't stretch my fingers across the frets.  such as making a C or F chord. 

i have made my shoulder so sore from trying to hold down the strings while trying to stretch.  i am at my wits end and it has become no fun playing. 

does anyone know of a size guitar that might be inbetween a child size and a parlor size?

please help because i am so close to giving up... i practice anywhere from 2-3 hours 7 days a week. 

wannaplay

Re: parlor guitar..

Howdy wannaplay,

Well I can understand your frustration, and although I'm not an expert on all of the various models of guitar that have ever been made or are currently being made, I might make a suggestion.  Measure the scale length of the guitar you are currently having such difficulties with (distance between the nut and bridge).  The reason I say that is because if the neck width and body size are comfortable, and the distance between frets is the problem, a shorter scale guitar may get you there.

Youth guitars are usually a really short scale for a couple of reasons; Item#1  shorter overall string length means less tension on the strings to bring up to pitch, thus easier in the fingertips.  Item #2 short scale equals narrower fret spacing which is easier to reach for shorter finger length.

Knowing the scale of what you are playing may enable you to find something that has a better spacing "for you".  My Ovation is a 25.5" scale and the neck is 1.75" and works well for me with rather short stocky fingers.  There are others out there, and I think that the "Baby Taylor" has a shorter scale than that, with outstanding sound and feel but it seemed a bit tight for me when I played one (sorry I didn't ask the scale length while at the dealership).

A little online research might be in order.  But then again, surely there is a "Chordian" out there who will respond to your post with better information.

Hang in there, keep practicing and have fun with your music... it just gets better and better!

Take Care;
  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

thank you doug, 

are you saying different brands make different scales (lengths)  like the youth size is 20" long just right for me... the parlor is 25" long too long for me.  i understand a full size adult might be even longer.

however, say for instance, a fender or gibson, could you get different lengths?  say for isntance, maybe a 1.75 but maybe a 23" length?

the frets are just too wide on this one.  also, the other problem is i am making a buzzing noise.. is that because i am not holding the string down tight enough?  it doesn't make it when other's play it. 

i am so frustrated. 

thanks again.

How about a baby Taylor:
http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/Baby-Taylor/BT1/

5 (edited by Doug_Smith 2008-11-12 19:21:38)

Hi again wannaplay,

I can't remember exactly what scale length is "standard full size", but the trend has been to go to "short scale" guitars at least here in the States.  It has to do mostly with the string tension factor.  Reducing the length of the string allows you to not have to put as much pull on the string to get it to a 440 A reference note (for example).  In acoustic guitars that is a big advantage, to allow the Luthier lighter bracing in the body of the instrument and the additional volume and resonance that results.  From a "playability" viewpoint... easier fretting and bending.  You might find that manufacturers refer to their scale as " 3/4, or 5/8" or somesuch but there are variations from make and model.  I don't think that there is any set in stone rule about what length a guitar has to be, although one would think that it should be an even multiplier of the desired wave length of a frequency that relates to a particular note.  My guess would be the A note, string 5 open at 440Hz.  But considering that all fret locations are calculated from the bridge using the total scale length as the constant, you could make a guitar any length you wanted within the limits of practical tuning with common gauge strings.

As to the buzzing, it is most likely not fretting close enough to the wire or not being able to get the string fully depressed.  The other variable is excessive bridge height.  Assuming that the guitar is set up properly, and you said that it doesn't happen when others play it.  It's probably you and something you are doing.  It could be that your finger strength is not up there yet and especially if you are using barre chording, it takes awhile.  You do practice a lot and that will get you physically conditioned fairly rapidly in that area, but don't over do it in one sitting.  Break your playing time into many short periods, and don't, like sit and try to go four hours straight.  Take breaks and stretch your hands and wrists or your tendons will let you know about having overdone.  They heal real slow and come back to haunt you again and again!

Take Care;
  Doug

Was that like too much information?  PS: Did a little research and the Baby Taylor is considered 3/4 scale at 22 3/4".  Martin, Alvarez, and Yamaha also build in that 22 to 23 inch scale on some models, mostly "travel" sizes.

Do you have a good guitar or music store near you.  They should allow you to hold and feel a guitar so that you can decide before buying.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

DrewDruncan wrote:

How about a baby Taylor:

I would agree that a Baby Taylor might be a great choice...I have one that I gave my grandson and it is an excellent guitar and sounds great... Martin makes a similar model and I bet others have them too!

I also can't help but wonder if maybe you are trying too hard? Sometimes people will stress and the harder they try, the more frustrated they become...maybe gripping the fretboard too tightly causing your hands and fingers to stiffen and cramp...also wearing your fingertip callouses too much?

Nylon string guitars are often easy to fret for some, but then again the strings are typically set a bit wider ... having small hands that might not help much...

Sometimes tuning the guitar down a 1/2 step can make it easier to fret and play...especially using bar chords...

Please don't get frustrated and give up...I'm sure that it'll work out eventually....hmmmm, I have big hands and it drives me nuts playing mandolin....

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

jaygordon75 wrote:
DrewDruncan wrote:

How about a baby Taylor:

I would agree that a Baby Taylor might be a great choice...I have one that I gave my grandson and it is an excellent guitar and sounds great... Martin makes a similar model and I bet others have them too!

I also can't help but wonder if maybe you are trying too hard? Sometimes people will stress and the harder they try, the more frustrated they become...maybe gripping the fretboard too tightly causing your hands and fingers to stiffen and cramp...also wearing your fingertip callouses too much?

Nylon string guitars are often easy to fret for some, but then again the strings are typically set a bit wider ... having small hands that might not help much...

Sometimes tuning the guitar down a 1/2 step can make it easier to fret and play...especially using bar chords...

Please don't get frustrated and give up...I'm sure that it'll work out eventually....hmmmm, I have big hands and it drives me nuts playing mandolin....

I have the gripping the fretboard problem big time, I keep trying to relax my hand and only using enough pressure to get the notes, but, after a minute or so, it's back to the "death grip" and my hand cramps.  Not to mention that if I have a rapid chord change, Ex; from A to D to A during a tune, my fingers stiffen to the point I can't move them individually.  It's not too frustrating, but, when I'm in my group old time string band lesson.  I literally have to stop and flex them free again.

I agree with the nylon strings being easier to fret.  I have a packet of them and will try to see how they feel next time I change the strings.  I currently have steel ones.  I can always switch back if I don't like it.   we have three mandolin players in my group and I always marvel at their ability to play with such a small fret board.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

thank you all for the information... i keep trying and keep getting frustrated.  one thing that was mentioned was "tightening up" when making the chords.  that is a real possibility. i believe i am doing that. 

i still have trouble reaching across three frets to make  c or f chord which drives me crazy.  i am female if i didn't mention so imagine tiny tiny hands. 

i will check into the $$ of the guitars mentioned.   maybe after the holidays if i don't give up first!

thanks again for all the info!

wannaplay wrote:

thank you all for the information... i keep trying and keep getting frustrated.  one thing that was mentioned was "tightening up" when making the chords.  that is a real possibility. i believe i am doing that. 

i still have trouble reaching across three frets to make  c or f chord which drives me crazy.  i am female if i didn't mention so imagine tiny tiny hands. 

i will check into the $$ of the guitars mentioned.   maybe after the holidays if i don't give up first!

thanks again for all the info!

My teacher has assured me that with practice and learning just the right amount of pressure to get the note, the "death grip" phase will pass.

There are some good smaller guitars that might suit you well!  My daughter got one for $180 that has a good sound and feels good for her.

Don't give up!

how long does it take for the "death grip" to go away?  i am learning from someone who has played 41 years and  i think forgets what is like for beginners. 

somedays i feel good about but others i am ready to give up.  i don't know if i will ever master anything on the guitar.. can you tell this is a "give up day"?

thanks for the advice and listening!

Hello It's me again,

41 years, that is a long time and certainly enough time to forget to remember what it was like to be starting out!  Some of us however put the thing away for a bit and got back into music after a little while off (not necessarily for good behavior).  And the suffering is just as bad the second time around as the first... except that you don't have that death grip thing to contend with, having gotten over it once before.  So to give you heart and perhaps a hint of a way to get around the cramping etc. I will have to go back to my old "classical" fix for everything that you might be doing "wrong" (even though there is no "wrong" way).

First off that reaching across the neck to fret the upper strings (lower notes, but higher as you reach out for them), you might try settling your guitar a bit higher on the neck angle as it crosses your body.  That forces you to get your thumb behind the neck of the instrument and naturally allows more finger extension across the width of the fingerboard.  You might think that it wouldn't let you get as much pressure on the strings, but it actually lets you pinch the neck between your thumb and fingers in a more natural and stronger grasp without cramping up the palm of your hand.  The wrist and forearm will be in a straighter line which keeps the tendons running freely through the tunnels in your carpals and lessens fatigue as well as irritation.

It doesn't look as cool as playing with the guitar below your belt buckle, but a lot easier on the body.

Take Care;
  Doug

Doug has it right on raising the guitar neck. Try classical guitar posture - see

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/1127 … osture.htm .

This means your arms have less of a stretch and you have less of a twist on your wrist to make the notes.

You can also raise the guitar high on your chest if you want to keep a horizontal neck.

If you are getting death grip - try breathing. We all stop breathing when we get anxious - and hitting a chord in public can make us all anxious. Note when you are breathing when you play difficult passages - and, if you are holding your breath, work in a breath pattern for the section you are playing. Make it at a chord change. 

Breathing will stop you physically cramping - otherwise you will need to see a shrink.

"What's so funny 'bout peace, love and understandin' ."    Elvis Costello

Thanks folks, that was excellent advice and the position shift does work.  Also just practice, practice, practice does eventually give you a feel for how much pressure is needed to make the tune and avoid the death grip. 

Wannaplay, I'v had more than a few give up days.  The thing that keeps me going,  is my love of the music and being able to play the stuff I love.

Hang in there.  It does get better.

wannaplay wrote:

how long does it take for the "death grip" to go away?  i am learning from someone who has played 41 years and  i think forgets what is like for beginners. 

somedays i feel good about but others i am ready to give up.  i don't know if i will ever master anything on the guitar.. can you tell this is a "give up day"?

thanks for the advice and listening!

Hi Wannaplay, don't give up, when I had those days I played my acoustic on my lap and learned all the chords that I've been learning the conventual way, it may not be for all but it sure is fun. Hope you find a guitar that fits. Since learning to play scales thru Chordie my guitar playing has really improved and is a great joy to be able to play. Hang in there,things change.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

thank you everyone for the support!  holding the guitar up sounds like great advice and i am going to give it a try as soon as i post.  i will try anything as i am just about to give up.... i love music so much and just want to play but it is so frustrating.

someone told me that eventually  my fingers would stretch out but i am not sure i believe that.  i mean you fingers are only so long... right?

i can  make a G chord great, and a F chord most of the time, not perfectly, but recognizable,  but it is that **** C chord! and wouldn't you know  every song i want to play has the c chord. 

thanks again for the support and i am going to try the "up" angle.  i will let you know!

wannaplay

Hello, I understand your frustration, please do not give up.  Just take it slower and be kinder to yourself.   Remember, you love the music and music returns the love in so many ways.

Hang in there!