Topic: Epiphone SG Wiring Problem

Hey everyone, I got an Epiphone SG from a buddy of mine and it came with some wiring problems... I heard the pickups were changed out when he got it and when I plugged it in, the neck pickup sounded fine, but the bridge was VERY quiet.  I thought the problem might have been a weak pickup, so I changed it out and still, it was quiet (by the way, I switched out a Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II for a Bill Lawrence L-500XL).  Long story short, I installed a push/pull for the volume and I still have this problem.  I noticed that if I turn my amp up all the way, I can get just enough sound to investigate, and found out that the both knobs control the volume.  I pulled a schematic off a couple of websites and it looks like everything's in order....  It is more than possible, I'm overlooking something, but I can't figure out what.  Has anyone ever ran into a problem like this before??

Re: Epiphone SG Wiring Problem

Howdy Southpaww51,

My Epi ST275 came out of hibernation with a "dead pickup" at one point, and in the end the problem was in the selector toggle switch.  Corrosion and likely dust was preventing that humbucker from switching into circuit.  So I removed the plate and sprayed the potentiometers and the switch down with good old WD-40 and blew them out with a PC duster can, rotated all the knobs a few times, toggled the switch a few times and did it again.... wiped up the residue and have been good to go ever since.  Electrical contact cleaner will work too, but not all finishes and or plastics may tolerate the ether and other solvents in it.

Worth a try and Good Luck!

Take Care;  Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug is on the right track, it sounds to be either the selector switch, or a bad ground connection from the pickup.  It's time to get out the multimeter, or take it to a tech.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Thanks for the tip Doug, but alas, going over the pots and switch with a bottle of contact cleaner was one of the first things I tried with no luck.  Also, when I checked out the selector switch, I had it plugged in, then tapped either side with the end of a screwdriver.  Noise was produced when I touched each side, so I assumed the switch wasn't the problem.  Is it possible that something else could be wrong with it?  It seems pretty linear, as long as the soldering points are all right and contact is being made in either position.... Is there something else I'm missing?

southpaww51 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Doug, but alas, going over the pots and switch with a bottle of contact cleaner was one of the first things I tried with no luck.  Also, when I checked out the selector switch, I had it plugged in, then tapped either side with the end of a screwdriver.  Noise was produced when I touched each side, so I assumed the switch wasn't the problem.  Is it possible that something else could be wrong with it?  It seems pretty linear, as long as the soldering points are all right and contact is being made in either position.... Is there something else I'm missing?

Download a wiring schematic and work the wiring backwards checking each wiring point. Sounds like there are some wires mounted on the wrong solder points.

Goodluck,

Bootlegger.