1 (edited by jets60 2008-09-03 01:12:10)

Topic: "Saw a Pretty Girl"

A favorite songs on mine is Brand New Key by Melanie Safka. I’ve always wondered what the story would have been like from the guy’s point of view in the song so I wrote this with that in mind.

Saw a Pretty Girl By Jeff Gilpin

September 1st, 2008

Verse 1

[D]Saw a pretty girl on her bike today

[D]Looked as if she got something to say

But [G]I was busy and had some things to [D]do

[G]She’d have said it if she wanted [D]to

[A]We can catch up after my day is [D]through [A7]

Verse 2

[D]Now that pretty girl’s on roller skates

[D]Riding by even though it’s getting late

[G]Got a smile as if she’s got something to [D]say

But [G]I’m afraid I’ve run all out of [D]day

[A]Maybe tomorrow when the night don’t get in the [D]way [A7]

Bridge

I [G]see that pretty girl all over town

[D]She travels pretty well

A [G]little too young to drive a car

I [A]guess it’s just as [A7]well

Verse 3

[D]Now that pretty girls a knocking at the door

But my [D]Mama’s answered I know what’s in store

[G]Mama’s going to say I’m here but not a[D]lone

And [G]it’ll be a long long time before she’s [D]gone

So [A]go on girl best you get on [D]home [A7]

Bridge

I [G]wonder what she wanted

[D]Coming by my house

I [G]guess I could have said something

But [A]I stayed quiet as a [A7]mouse

Verse 4

[D]Woke up this morning with my mind made up

If I [D]see that pretty girl I won’t interrupt

Going to [G]let her say what’s been on her [D]mind

Then [G]let her know what has been on [D]mine

And [A]hopefully it all will work out [G]fine [D]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: "Saw a Pretty Girl"

Lovely song as always Jets.

All kinds of summery  images reading this one.

Thank You!
Old doll

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Lena - I kind of get that too but I didn't think about it at the time. Thanks

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hi Jeff,

Great song, reminding me of myself as I am very shy and have let chances pass me by too. I am also intrigued so I will now go and try and find the Melanie Safka song too.

Thank you,

Roger

PS I found the song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIFknAdVvNM only to realise in the first couple of bars that I do in fact remember it.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

hi jeff,

dont you just hate it when a chance [of any kind] presents itself, but for some reason you just let it go, then later think "why didnt i...?"

i dont suppose you've heard the english version of "brand new key"? it was called i've got a brand new combined harvester, you've got a brand new key" it's meant to be funny, and i guess it is for us brits.

keep up the good work

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

hi jeff wishful thinking of something that never was ,nice song....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Thanks you all.  Roger, that's the one although I never heard it live but Melanie is such a doll singing it. Phill, I have heard it before and it cracked me up too. Daddy, sometimes you just get too busy and the moments gone.

J  E  T  S

I gotta agree,Melanie is a doll and man... what a sweet voice.Thanks for memories and the song smile
Kap

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey Kap, Glad you liked it.

J  E  T  S

10 (edited by Russell_Harding 2008-09-06 23:57:02)

good song I like the lyrics and if it were me I would have pushed my mama aside and said "lets go for a walk sweet thing" lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Russ - Yep that would have been the thing to do. I tried to think the guy was in his teens and not quite sure what to do with a girl coming over to his house. I know back in the day it would have set me back a step or two on a first impression when I was trying to figure girls out. Boy are a little shy when it comes to noticing pretty girls but they don't like to admit it. That's what I was trying to imply with the line "but I was busy and had some things to do" and "I had run all our of day". Kind of like making excusses as to why he was not talking to her when he could see she wanted to. But he got his nerve up by the end of the song.

J  E  T  S