Topic: Rock riffs

I am an old dude but new at playing the guitar (electric), I am playing easy three cord songs but would like to make a little rock sounds, does anyone know any small rock riffs so I could pick up my guitar and play a little lick and impress my grandkids? Something that people might know or not ... something that just rocks.

Re: Rock riffs

Hello Mr Old Dude and welcome to Chordie. From a fellow Old Dude here's some riffs that might impress the young 'uns. Have fun !
http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere?url=h … ner=zbanjy

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks ... that is exactly what I was looking for ...

Hello Mr 'Old Man',

If you want to learn something pretty simple to impress the "Young 'Uns" such as myself then something like a bit of punk rock (See: The Offspring songs - "Walla Walla" and "I want you bad") or a bit of rock (See: Bon Jovi's "Living on a Prayer) or possibly a bit of Metal (See: Trivium - "Dying in your arms" or Metallica - "Seek and Destroy" or "Enter Sandman") - Maybe even push the boat out a bit and go for something more poppy and look into Fall Out Boy's cover of Michael Jackson's "Beat It". All of the above songs can be learnt in an hour or so

Hey! From one Old Dude to Another!  I love to do that...occasionally some of my kids friends would come over and see my guitars and would play and stuff... then I might pick one up and crank up an amp, get lots of distortion, and play something really really fast! Didn't seem to matter what it was as long as it is super fast... then I'd leave it alone before they figured that I really can't play well....

Southpaw, as usual, came thru with some great stuff!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

6 (edited by cameronkl7 2008-09-06 10:29:06)

Hey SouthPaw,

In that "Wonderful tonight" tab...You have playing the E on the fifth Fret then the B, which I know means bend, then the 7th Fret on the E string, but do you mean to slide from the Fifth to the Seventh, or am I missing something, and is there a little more to that riff? Thanks for your help SouthPaw.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Oh, btw, the Beat it one, the solo is a bit daft if you go for the EVH version

cameronkl7 wrote:

Hey SouthPaw,

In that "Wonderful tonight" tab...You have playing the E on the fifth Fret then the B, which I know means bend, then the 7th Fret on the E string, but do you mean to slide from the Fifth to the Seventh, or am I missing something, and is there a little more to that riff? Thanks for your help SouthPaw.

Cam

These are sample riffs, not the entire solo. Practice moving positions and playing the same notes on different strings. Instead of playing 3-7 frets on the B and E strings, play the 7th fret on the G string and frets 8,10, and 12 on the B string. The purpose of the 'hook riffs' shown in the riff link is to expand ones practical use of the fretboard, or to break out of the bottom 3 frets. And it impresses people when they hear a guitar rookie play something that sounds familiar.

And remember Chordie is a search engine that gathers pre-existing tabs out there in computer land. It would be a copywrite violation for me to tab the solo and post it in our  forum. I can however, if you'd like, e-mail the full solo in tab form to you. Just lemme know..............

Give everything but up.