1 (edited by Phill Williams 2008-08-08 09:53:27)

Topic: Rancid Serpent Venom

I went to make myself a cup of tea monday night and it tasted...well, like rancid serpent venom was the likeness that came to mind, from which came this little ditty

rancid sepent venom by Phill Williams

chorus

[G]sometimes you [F#m]got to [Em]sit right [D]down

and [C]take it [Am]like a [G]man

you've got to [G]close your [F#m]eyes and [Em]grit your teeth

and [C]take the [Am]whole thing [G]down

dont [C]pass the buck, [D]pass the jug

be [Em]your dad and [F]not your mum

it [G]tastes like rancid [D]serpent venom

[C]take the whole thing [G]down

verse 1

i've [C]seen more girls get [D]up and go

through the [Em]bottom of a [F]glass

i've seen [C]ugly hags look like [D]pretty mads

as the [G]night wears [C]on

but that [Em]glass feels good [C]upon my lips

the [Am]bottle's empty, but there's [D]still some drips

i [G]dont care realy [C]how it tastes

that [D]rancid serpent [G]venom

REPEAT CHORDS FOR SECOND VERSE

verse 2

i've tasted dirt from gutters that aint

seen a brush for years

and sawdust that's been laced with beer

tastes better than you think

and i've been punched so many times

i've forgotten how to think

that rancid serpent venom kills

but it's another drink

repeat chorus

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Rancid Serpent Venom

Hi Phill - I'm hearing this one as a sort of honkytonk anthem.  I like the imagery - nicely done.
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

hi phill i love a good cuppa my mrs puts everything in the mug then the water,yuck that reminds me of this song,i like to brew it first the put milk in ,great song well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Hi Phill,

I can really relate to this song. You are so right it does just taste like rancid serpent venom (although I usually say it tastes like weasel urine, but not quite so politely). On occasions I have been given a cup and, being such a shy type of guy I have not liked to say anything, so I have had to grit my teeth and take it down.

I did like the song and a you have a very interesting chord sequence. Good work my friend.

Roger

PS I hope you don't mind I did a bit of juggling with it as you put the special formatting switch (the 'song' in square bracket) as the Subject. It should be in the Message at the just before the {t:title}. By the way I think the third line of the verse should read pretty maids and not pretty mads.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

They used to use sawdust here Phil,
On the floors in pubs long ago.  God were all posh now, havent seen sawdust in years.

It's another good un Lad. I like it.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Sounds like the tea my daughter-Inlaw makes....
It's one part full cream milk to one part hot water with 3 dips of the tea bag.mmmmmmm
going on myspace with this one?
Ark

hi folks,

i stuck this one down quickly yesterday, just before going to work, as i am today in about 10 minutes, it will eventually find it's way onto myspace, maybe at the weekend, i've done a little demo [voice and guitar]

thanks for the formatting again roger, i just dont seem to be able to get it...duh!!!

as for tea,  i make mine; tea bag and two sugars first, then the water, mix till about mid strength, then add milk. [just in case i come calling on you lol]

even though the song was inspired by tea, it acctually warns of the demon drink, how it starts when your a kid and your peers tell you to drink or be scorned, then as you grow older and it gets a hold of you and you start losing your girlfriends, to when your an alki, making a fool of yourself and getting the hell kicked out of you and drinking just anything [not water or tea] to get the high, so a bit serious really...sorry bout that

i remember the saw dust helena, but that was before i was allowed to enter pubs

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.