Topic: Never picked up a guitar but want to learn

Where to start?
Is there a internet site that shows the chords?
I will take a lesson but want to learn something before I go in.
I assume the person at the guitar shop will sell me a guitar for me but any advice?

Re: Never picked up a guitar but want to learn

Hello Possum
in my opinnion, and by experience the best is to start  with a good teacher to avoid getting bad habits , and also you'll progress faster,
If there's no money for the guitar teacher go to you tube and there's a lot of good teachers  there , Personally I like
JustinSandercoe
Really really great guy and he teaches really good,,from begginers to advance players You'll see it

I hope it helps,
Welcome to the site and to the wonderful world of Music:-)

G'day Possum,

Have a look on youtube, there is an endless procession of vids showing techniqe and tricks.
Let the music set you free bro'

Ned Kelly67

It can't hurt to just pick up a beginners book from your local library / book store, if nothing else than to learn a few chords and techniques.

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

Possum

www.justinguitar.com is a great place to start ... everything from the beginner to the advanced player

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

6 (edited by NELA 2008-08-06 14:46:46)

Possum, you did not mention your age. BUT, it don't matter. All you need to start is a desire. I started playing at the tender age of 54 and if I can do it so can you. Take things slow, learn the basics, (open chords are a good place to start) find you a decent guitar to begin practice - doesn't need to be an expensive guitar, find you some beginner books and CD's and just get started. Always remember - even a baby has to learn to crawl before they can walk. You will not start making music overnight. You will get frustrated, you fingers will get sore, you will start finding excuses not to practice, etc, etc, etc. Stick with it, set you some goals ( and a good teacher or this site will help) and get started! "Nuff said.

Nela

Great help there all smile I saved all the links and will do some searching about on those sites smile

Got to learn the chords before I start loading songs lol