Topic: "Hopeless Love"

A mixture of pure fiction and fact went into this song, another sad love song. Many thanks to Helena for her help in completing it.

On MySpace : http://www.myspace.com/rogerguppy

Hopeless Loveby Roger Guppy & Helena Donovan

Intro:

[D][Bm][G][A]

Verse 1:

[D]We first met years a[Bm]go at school,

Even [G]then I knew you were the [A]one,

But [D]you have never [Bm]felt the same,

So a[G]lone, with my [A]dreams, I re[D]main.[A]

Verse 2:

[D]In our late teens we [Bm]met again,

And for [G]too short a time we went [A]out,

My [D]joy and and happiness was [Bm]plainly shown,

[G]It was the [A]best time I have [D]known.[D7]

Chorus:

[G]I have [A]always [D]loved [Bm]you,

[G]No one can [A]ever com[D]pare,[D7]

[G]I only [A]want you, [D]heaven knows I [Bm]tried,

But the [G]chance has [A]always been [D]denied.[A]

Verse 3:

[D]The path that you have [Bm]taken,

Has [G]shattered the hopes that I [A]had,

[D]I have to accept we can [Bm]never be,

That I [G]can't have [A]you with [D]me.[D7]

Chorus:

But the [G]chance has [A]always been [D]denied.[A]

Instrumental:

[D][Bm][G][A]

[D][Bm][G][A][D][A]

Verse 4:

[D]I am sure we are [Bm]meant to be,

But [G]alas it will not be in this [A]life,

In an[D]other lifetime [Bm]it may be,

When [G]we will [A]fulfill our desti[D]ny.[D7]

Chorus:

But the [G]chance has [A]always been [D]denied.[Bm]

Yes the [G]chance has [A]always been de[D]nied.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Re: "Hopeless Love"

Roger,

its always sad when someone else takes your candy, But it wasnt meant for you in the first place.

Lovely recording.

Now why would you be giving me credit for one line?

You own it Sir!

Slán

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Really nice work Roger smile
Very good feel to the song. Hard to say what line Lena added...they are all good.
Did you record this at your home studio and are you playing all instruments?

KAP54

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

4 (edited by jets60 2008-07-13 20:05:07)

Hey Roger - bittersweet as some of the best love songs are. I really like how you've strung the chords together...really fits this sadly sweet song. Well done

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Thank you Helena, Kenny and Jeff for your comments.

Helena. Whether you helped with one verse, one line or one word it does not matter. You re-wrote the last verse which was cumbersome and I re-wrote your verse to my style of writing so credit where credit is due.

Kenny. I recorded this in my caravan awning, unfortunately my move has put me very close to a main road and a railway line so background noise can be a problem. I use a programme called Band-In-A-Box to create my basic backing track and generally remove all instruments except drums, bass and strings. I then overly this with my playing, in this case electric guitar, acoustic guitar, autoharp and backing vocals. Finally I will lay down the lead vocals.

Thank you again,

Roger

hi roger,

such a sad song, unrequited love i think it's called, and it's usually the woman who get's the poo end of the stick [trying to be polite]
nice song, very heartfelt and emotional, nice picture too, is that the present love interest or who the song is about?
hope your move wasn't too stressful, if you'd asked i would have come out to help...honest [lol]

keep em coming

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi Phill,

The idea behind this song is pure fiction but I used my memories of a young lady I used to know to add reality to it. The young lady I met at secondary school (aged 11) and we were good pals, no more. We both went to college and in our late teens and went out for a while but it did not work out and we went out seperate ways. The rest is fantasy, but I do like the sad love songs even though I am perfectly happy. The only lady in my life at the moment is T.T., my cat.

By the way, although I have got moved there is still plenty to do to get the place ship shape, so you do not need to hold back, you are more than welcome to come and help lol.

Roger

hi roger a lovely piece with feeling and emotion,well done....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

thanks for the invite roger,
oh damn, thing is i've just come back from holiday [in spain, just round the corner from you ]
if only you'd said sooner  wink

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi Roger
Hope your move went well. Sorry to hear your recording envoiriment is not all that good.
Anyway the song sounds good to me.
Well done
Ark

Thanks Daddycool.

Phill that is my problem - always too late.

Thanks Ark, after a few mini adventure T.T. (my cat) and I are settled in the Algarve again. The main problem with the traffic noise is if emergency sirens go off, I can cope with general traffic noise.

Roger

hi roger thanx for the response,as you see i have to keep the chords simple as i explained b4.all my songs were in the key of G as thats what i knew so i tried to go to a different key for the last song.i found that A was the next easiest to get.you guys have put me in the mood to learn the guitar properly, i am feeling a bit out of my depth with the guitar. i try to transpose everybodies song to the key of G to get a bit of a feel for the way your songs should work out.sometimes it`s ok but sometimes it`s like reading chinese.oh the post u did on me i don`t mind i thought i sent it to this message board in the first place.thanx again.