Topic: what is DROP D

Is this an open tuning in D?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: what is DROP D

Isn't it when you drop the E strings (high and low) down to D??? I'm not sure and have never been a big fan of alternate tunings but I think that's it.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Drop D is when the low E string is tuned down to D.
I think the one geoaguiar mention is called something like double drop D.

Geo ,
   That's been my understanding of drop D . A good friend of mine started playing guitar about five years ago , and insisted on learning songs that were played in that tuning . I always told him that someday he would regret not starting out with standard tuning . To this day he can't pick up a guitar tuned standard and just play something .
   I frequently detune one full tone for some songs , and lately considered trying some open tunings but that's a whole different thing from drop D ....................

Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

its when you drop the low E string to correspond with ....
im not making sense in my brain
okay
you drop the low e string so that if you play it on seventh fret and then play A they should sound the same
or i think you do
well thats how i drop d

I like cheese:P
               And Paramore:cool:
               And my guitar:D

Try it! Drop D is a wonderful tuning to play in...lot of fingerstyle players use it...one of the more notable was Chet Atkins...he would play bass patterns with his thumb and melody with his fingers...Dropped D tuning made it much easier...Eddie Van Halen also used it a lot and had a dropped D tuner built into his Peavey Wolfgang Guitars...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Tibernius wrote:

Drop D is when the low E string is tuned down to D.
I think the one geoaguiar mention is called something like double drop D.

Just one eh? Thanks. I always learn something new. As I recall alot of Neil Young is in this tuning.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Lo and behold,

Wikipedia had an article on Drop D tuning and the reason for doing it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_D_tuning

I hope that helps,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

if u take ur (fat) E snare and tune it down to D u get more heavyer tones out of ur upper d snare for some serious rock work if u can controle it proporally

plays: Ibanez arx 120bx electric guitar , Fender CD60 steelstring