Topic: BPM

Hi Everyone.

I just got a new metronome, and I am LOVING the progress. (Not to mention I just had the action adjusted on my guitar, and all I can say is WOW!!! Had I known sooner...)

Okay, so when I practice some of my favorite songs, I always slow down the metronome to a rate that I can keep up with, and gradually pick up the speed. My question is there anywhere I can find the actual BPM for any original song? I am now going "by ear", according to what speed it sounds right to me, as well as the original recording, but is there any way to find out what the actual speed is?

(I might add, sometimes I play around with the speeds of songs, say, playing "Summer of '69" in a slowed down style is fun. smile

Anybody?

Thanks!
Anastasia

Re: BPM

anastasiak112 wrote:

(I might add, sometimes I play around with the speeds of songs, say, playing "Summer of '69" in a slowed down style is fun. smile

Hi Anastasia,

For me you answered your own question. I think you should always play a song at the tempo you like and it should always be fun.

The metronome is a great idea though to ensure that you keep to a regular tempo, a great boon when you start playing with others. I was jamming with a friend the other week who could not keep time, it was a very difficult couple of hours.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

i have seen Brian adams doing Summer of 69 as a very slowed down acoustical song and it was brilliant. Seemed like a different song.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Something that might help anastasia is to put the metronome on while the song is playing ... you should be able to get an idea as to what the BPM is

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Roger: Yes, I quite enjoy making my own versions of songs.

Ken: Would that have been from the MTV Acoustic series they had a while back?  I must check that out! smile

Tim: That's a great idea! Thanks!!

A.

Anastasia ... real quick, I checked the song and it seemed the BPM was around 130 - 135'ish ... I'm going on my recollection from Sunday night and it's Monday and my brain isn't cooperating lol so check between those settings

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Thanks Tim! smile Appreciate it!

A.