Topic: Pinky Stretch

Will my fingers stretch with practice ?
When I have my index on the second fret, my ring finger on the 4th fret and my pinky on the 6th fret - it's very tough for that pinky to get to the 6th fret to play the note.

Any encouragement?

Re: Pinky Stretch

There's alot of finger stretching exercises you can do ... it might be easier to do a google search and type in, "finger stretching exercises for guitar"

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

So that pinky will stretch? It just seems impossible right now.

yeah it will over time ... I've only been playing less than two years and my pinky can stretch but it doesnt have the strength of the others to do hammer-ons, etc ... it's all just repetition

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Sweet, I'll keep working on it.
I'm doing

A:: 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
D:: 4 4 6 6 4 4 6 6 4 4

It will stretch.  I have genetically shortened pinkies (seriously!) and I can stretch to six frets, so it can be done.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Find something you like to play that requires the stretch your looking for (a major 7th bar or something) and just practice the song. Before you know you'll have exercised and stretched without it seeming like a chore.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Check out Justin's "Finger Stretch Exercise"

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/TE-007-FingerStretch.php

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I got a Riff Grip and I can take it with me on the train and office and he helps keep my pinky strong and the rest of the fingers flexible even when I can't get any practice in. It aint no substitute but it helps.

Pedro