Topic: strumming

How can I understand the strumming pattern for all these songs? I'm a newbie and the strumming is what gets me everytime.  I've seen songs with the same chords sound completely different with a different strumming pattern. Any thoughts or ideas would be most helpful.
Thanks!@!!

Re: strumming

i have only been playing for 8 months,  it helps when you really really know the song, this will help you feel the song and you can just strum the way you feel it,  and practice practice practice.  be patient cause it will not sound like the real thing but eventually it will come together in a way that you can sound somewhat like the song.  always keep in mind when you hear the song on the radio or on cd,  there are alot of sound quality things going on that you just don't get when you are playing alone and are new.   i too struggle with strumming but i practice everyday and i also have my favorites on my mp3 player and i will listen to the song over and over and try to play.  but i try not to be hard on myself cause i am just learning.   don't give up  and find a buddy to jam with,  that helps me alot

3 (edited by Guitarpix 2008-05-08 23:16:27)

Please take the time to look at this site  http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html  It has multiple patterns all arranged by the songs they are used in! It even has an audio sample carrying you through them. I'm sure you'll love it!

Welcome to Chordie! Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks everyone!  I tried to go to   http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html   but I can't seem to get into the site. Is the address correct? or maybe the site is temporarily down.  Thanks.

mainecanoe wrote:

Thanks everyone!  I tried to go to   http://www.grouptherapy.guernsey.net/strumming.html   but I can't seem to get into the site. Is the address correct? or maybe the site is temporarily down.  Thanks.

Hey. Try to refresh the page... That may work for you. The link always comes up fine for me...I even tried the one you posted and it worked fine.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

yup. I'm on it now. Thanks!

7 (edited by Clypxy 2008-05-10 20:56:57)

This is how i learned to strum:

I was taught the basic pattern " Down Down, Up Up, Down Up. I used this very much, and as time passed i began alternating it in order to make it sound nice in other songs etc. In other words; I figured how other patterns where played by listening to trhe rythm - just needed a little push from the basic pattern i mentioned up there.

Point is that i think you can do the same thing, because best way to learn this is to use your ears.
Ofcourse those basic pattern on that page is a very good start, but it really comes down to using your side attachments - simplest way.

(A)                 (C#)     (D-barrè)                  (Cm#)(Bm)
Stand by your guitar, and tell the world you love it!