Topic: What to buy?

I am getting back into playing after about a 10 year hiatus, and I am searching for a new electric.  I play mostly blues (Allman Bros., etc.), Harder Rock (some Hendrix and Black Sabbath), and i've recently been listening to/playing along with a lot of Wes Montgomery.  SO, what should I get for under $1000 that would make good tones for blues/rock/jazz?  Another note - I have pretty big hands, so tiny necks dont work that well for me.

I was thinking a Strat HSS or maybe an SG.

Any opinions or info is appreciated.  BTW - I have an amp already - a fender 30w DEC.  Its a lot of fun.

Re: What to buy?

For under a grand and the style your looking at, I would suggest an Epiphone Les Paul Custom ...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Defa … e+les+paul

You can find a variety of Epiphone's for a great price ... the customs are toward the top end but there's still a great price range with the Studios and Standards

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

I usually think of an SG as a rock machine, maybe it's just the whole image thing but I don't think of an SG as a blues guitar.  The HSS is a good idea--but just from playing them, aren't the necks smaller than the Gibson's?
I love my Epi LP--with the right amp it cleans up nice.  PRS has a line out now that go  for around $600 that you might want to consider.  They get great reviews, they have a "wide fat" neck that might fit your hands nicely.  That's what I was going to get, but I just fell in love with my honey-burst epi, and you can't argue with love!

thanks to both of you for the Epi LP rec.  They are nice, and it seems you can get a higher-end one on ebay pretty reasonable.  The PRS is good to know - i'll try to check one out.  I do enjoy picking on a little Santana.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can u please say something about hiatus?...

It's no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps, but which one is the best? We think it's the Blues Junior. Find out why. http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com

dcgozzler wrote:

I am getting back into playing after about a 10 year hiatus, and I am searching for a new electric.  I play mostly blues (Allman Bros., etc.), Harder Rock (some Hendrix and Black Sabbath), and i've recently been listening to/playing along with a lot of Wes Montgomery.  SO, what should I get for under $1000 that would make good tones for blues/rock/jazz?  Another note - I have pretty big hands, so tiny necks dont work that well for me.

I was thinking a Strat HSS or maybe an SG.

Any opinions or info is appreciated.  BTW - I have an amp already - a fender 30w DEC.  Its a lot of fun.

Michael Kelly Guitars (www.michaelkellyguitars.com) check them out you can by two for the amount of money you are willing to spend.  They are Korean made and very good quality. I bought the Patriot Decree black figured top just before the namm show at the end of January before they went in to production. It should be delivered next week, I get one of the first one's made. I based my purchase based upon playing a Patriot Q series (now the decree's) and the Patriot shadow & custom. Check them out, go to the website and click on the Valor custom and listen to ademptions "My Everything" your hear the Rockfield SWC pickups.  I build and hot rod my own guitars that's why I chose the decree because I can put in a set of Rockfield SWC's which are not offered on the decree.

Good luck.

Bootlegger
Bootlegger guitars.

senter wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

can u please say something about hiatus?...

It's no secret that Fender makes great guitar amps, but which one is the best? We think it's the Blues Junior. Find out why. http://fenderbluesjunioramps.com

From websters: Hiatus = an interruption in time or continuity