Topic: Strumming Patterns?

I am attempting to learn guitar. So this is a newbie question. I like a lot of the easy songs listed here. I can play some basic cords. My question is how do you determine the strumming patterns for these(any) songs?

Thanks for a great site

Joe

Re: Strumming Patterns?

Hi PPA and welcome to Chordie!

This strumming pattern question comes up often. If you use the search function I am sure you can find lots of info. Here's a few threads that will get you started:

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6513

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4775

I used to get hung up on strumming patterns also, had some need to find an exact DDUD pattern or something - But I realized that by listening to the song and feeling the rhythm is the best way for me to get the pattern. Trying to copy an exact pattern can lead to overanylisis paralysis - feel the song and strum what sounds good (works for me anyway).

Good Luck!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thank you very much for the help.

PPA

Alot of times strumming takes practice and a good ear ... it will come in time ... last night, for example, a friend asked me to play Neon Moon by Brooks & Dunn ... I've never played it before and noticed the chords were simple ... the strumming was awkward at first but after about 5-10 minutes I was able to figure it out ...

Just try different songs with different strum patterns ... soon it will click with you smile

I learned my patterns from www.justinguitar.com

Electric:  Gibson Les Paul Studio, Schecter Omen 6, PRS SE Custom
Acoustic:  Fender Talman, Yamaha
Amp:  Fender Super Champ XD/Line6 Spider III 75

Thanks Tim. I will check that site. Just to add to the problem, I am a 56 year old trying to finally reach a life time desire concerning music.

Thanks,

Joe