Topic: So sorry,I'll make it up to you: the SINGER'S place in a band

Yes, it's strange, the 3th topic "So Sorry" now about singers. Who are they, what do they offer and worse WHAT IS A SINGER without a band. He seems to be the frontman, but except for his voice, what is his "musical" contribution.
Some categories, music styles are awful, like the GRAVEYARD VOICES in some Metal Bands.
- Sepultura, Pantera...
In fact a majority of singers should be placed in a few categories: OPERA, ROCK, BLUES, BALLADS and my opinion, hard rock singers are probably the best, because of the range the reach.
Also, there is one category of "female singers" I despise, R&B female singers: How many of these use the whohoowho style, a vibrato structure when they sing? And R&B is a WRONG description of that music, my opinion. If you listen to Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston I DON'T FEEL "IT", it is sterile, give me the "old school". Janis Joplin SHE HAD A HELL OF A VOICE, listen to "cry baby" and you know what I mean: an ARROW straight through your heart. I agree, THIS IS HOW I SEE, HEAR AND FEEL IT. So this can be a nice discussion again. I told you about WHAT and WHY, but AM I RIGHT or WRONG?
Here a list I found:
1. Elvis Presley
2. Aretha Franklin
3. Frank Sinatra
4. Otis Redding
5. John Lennon
6. Marvin Gaye
7. Kurt Cobain
8. Robert Plant
9. Mick Jagger
10. Jeff Buckley

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: So sorry,I'll make it up to you: the SINGER'S place in a band

Doc,

I couldn't agree with you more.

I have been having this argument with my wife since American Idol (aka - Pop Idol in the UK, I think) first aired.

All of these, as you so rightly put it, "whohoowho" singers are really not contributing anything to the world of music, or its history. They may have good voices (if they ever held a note), but they are absolutely "cookie-cutter" sounds that do not inspire any emotion or response, other than nausea and, possibly, dry heaves.

It is as if they are just an excuse to lay down a snappy backbeat that the kids can dance to. My daughter is one of those kids. She can't tell you the words to most of the songs she listens to, but as soon as she hears the "wickey-wickey-boom" she starts gyrating.

Even a voice as suspect as Bob Dylan is preferable to me. At least he had character, emotion, and his own sound. The current trend in pop music disturbs me. I guess that's why I stick to folks like Guy Davis, Bob Dylan, and Neil Young (another distinctive, emotional voice that would probably have never won American Idol).

Bravo, Doc. Great thread, and astute observation (as usual!) big_smile

Just play

Re: So sorry,I'll make it up to you: the SINGER'S place in a band

If Roger Daltrey is not in the list of best Rock vocalists ever, the list is no good. POWER in a rock-n-roll singer is a required virtue. Roger brought that and more. Steven Tyler should also be on this list - nobody can scream on key like Steven can and has for over 30 years. Lennon, Cobain, Jagger - all great artists and composers but as purely vocalists - they don't belong.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!