Topic: New songs.

Ok so I just learned most of my chords, i'm still fairly new at guitar playing, is there any suggestions for some good and simple songs to learn?? Greatly appreicated!!

Re: New songs.

What kind of music do you like? Are you a singer wanting to acompany yourself with a guitar? Or are you playing guitar for another singer? Chordie has some really great resources and songbooks...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Bree-03...for the first you made an good choise to go to chordies forum.
And for the second : some easy songs to play are "house of the rising sun"(the animals), "sweet home alabama"(lynyrd skynyrd), "bolevard of broken dreams"(greean day), and other songs with like 3-8 chords. try these ones and then you can level to "anrchy in the U.K(sex pistols), "bulls on parade"(rage against the machine) and "sweet child O' mine"(guns n' roses)
I did these and can play solos for many different song and im makin' my own... and by the way i have played in 4 months now...

Good calls.

Try the public books from the top menu bar. They are full of inspiration. I have a wee browse through them quite often - chordie is such a huge index you can miss a lot. Having a look through other people's songbooks always brings a new treat or forgotten classic.

You'll love it here.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

5 (edited by Bree-03 2008-02-15 20:11:15)

Yeah, for one thing, thank you, and yes, i am kind of into both, I do solos, and accompany other guitarists. I like Alot of music ranging from Jack Johnson, to lifehouse, greenday, los lobos, dashboard confessional, billy talent, Pretty much like everything lol. I also like to fingerpick too. Also, since I am multilingual, I love a lot of spanish music.

Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson was the first song I learned to play that wasn't just a strum (with the mini-riffs in the chorus, lol). It is fairly simple and a fun song to play. Rodeo Clowns is another that's just four chords and has a cool little intro too.

Dashboard plays a little bit tougher stuff, but Hands Down is a good easy song to learn, as is The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most and Vindicated.

Hero by Enrique Iglesias has a simple, but sweet fingerpicking pattern to it and that's always fun to sing with a passionful spanish accent. Haha.

Some of my firsts:

Bad Moon Rising - CCR
He Stopped Loving Her Today - George Jones
Brown Eyed Girl - Van Morrison
Ring of Fire  - Johnny Cash
Little Pink Houses - John Cougar (Mellancamp?)
Turn The Page - Bob Seger

Just play

a nice one to begin with is 
Free Falling - Tom Petty

Ok i've been playing 1 month and ive been trying to master 4 songs which are pretty straight forward

Oasis, Songbird - Cracked it quickly as its only 2 chords and a fairly easy strumming pattern
Snow Patrol, Run - A good song for practising quick change to C which i've found difficult but im getting there
Foo Fighters Times like these accoustic - A great wee tune and a gain has a change to c granted from Am which makes it easy
The Pogues, Dirty Old town - Again a few common changes G - C which im finding in a lot of songs so its good practice.

bree.... i think you should play more fast blues with solos its pretty nice and u can take normal blues scales but on the like 12;th, 9;th and 14;th bands instead for the common.