Topic: IMPACT OF THE GUITAR ON THE PLAYER

Remarkable to notice that  people, start playing guitar often buy a more expensive guitar.
They believe, having a Gibson, Fender, PRS will have a very positive impact = being a lot better player than the one buying a lot cheaper guitar.
I started to surf, reading topics and answers resulting in a YES.
WHY?
If your first guitar, is an expensive guitar like Martin, Gibson, Taylor, you will be more motivated to play.
Starting playing guitar is great, a lot of people start with a "cheap and decent" model.
I had the opportunity to read a lot of comments on websites as musician's friend, zzounds and I also noticed that a lot of these people regret there choice. On the other hand, ther are also a lot who don't regret.
Most people will finally buy a lot more expensive model, blinded by artists playing great brands, having friends playing a great brand. These impressions lead me to:
CONCLUSION: HAVING A MORE EXPENSIVE GUITAR PRODUCING A GREAT TONE, IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRESUMED.
I don't know if you agree, this isn't about guitars only, but the INTERACTION guitar vs player.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: IMPACT OF THE GUITAR ON THE PLAYER

I know a few people who picked up guitar playing in their middle age (say 40-50 and I won't apoligize for calling 40-50 "middle aged" as I'm in that category!) and, because they have the means, buy a Taylor or a Martin. They are NOT good players and the beautiful acoustic doesn't help them at all. I know others who play much less expensive guitars and can play the crap out of them.
I would agree (especially with acoustic) that one can get discouraged playing a low end high action guitar as a beginner but I sometimes laugh at the guy who can't play an bar chord and has a high end Taylor.
To me, until you become an accomplished player what sort of guitar you play has a minimal impact on your playing...that's my 2 cents worth.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

3 (edited by Oldnewbie 2008-02-10 19:27:54)

geoaguiar,

I think you are right. We are middle aged. Good God. Thanks for reminding us all! big_smile

I think, though, more to 'phil's question of whether a good guitar will or won't make a difference to a beginner, it really depends on the type of person, and their seriousness of commitment. I think there is validity that buying an expensive guitar will make you more likely to play it longer, if the money invested was a significant percentage of your income. If an inexpensive guitar is the same percentage of your income, then your perceived investment is equal, which, I think, is more important.

As far as whether the person will play longer because it sounds better, I am not convinced. I don't think it matters how good the guitar is capable of sounding, it is going to sound like crap for at least a few months, or more. While the new player is still in the initial pain and frustration stage is when the decision to play or not to play is usually made. I think this has much more to do with the quality of the person than the quality of the box.

gitaardocphil wrote:

CONCLUSION: HAVING A MORE EXPENSIVE GUITAR PRODUCING A GREAT TONE, IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN PRESUMED.

About this statement, the argument could be made that someone who has been successful enough in life to have the means to afford an expensive guitar to start with has the qualities necessary to stick with it and learn the guitar, although I don't think those two necessarily go hand-in-hand.

I still contend that it has MUCH more to do with the musician than the instrument.

Add that with geoaguiar's input, and you almost get a nickle!  smile

Just play

Like OLDNEWBIE  sais, we are indeed "old" men. I was born in 1955.
And GEOAGUIAR, I do agree with you. At first, I had another name for this topic.
It is a fact IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, and I really feel sorry because I start from my guitars.
A very good guitar player will play great on an 100$ guitar, just go back in time, let's say the Twenties. Blues = Afro-American origin, with roots in AFRICA. An afro-american was able to play great stuff on a "throw-away" guitar, in a matter of speaking. Of course you are not a better player having a 3000$ guitar. But every single person playing guitar, want a not too expensive decent guitars. There are a lot of topics about this. My point is: playing alone, and you will develop skills, style. BUT that same player in a band will play a lot better. Second point: if you buy an expensive guitar, with your own money, you just try to work harder, more to buy your "dream guitar" you will be MORE motivated because YOU SAVED A LOT OF MONEY to buy that guitar. I know a lot of people having an Epiphone, and if they play with friends having a Gibson, it is VERY DIFFICULT TO RESIST a guitar like Gibson. The problem is the money, and for that my apologies, I worked 75 hours as a Doc, I had a good "business"and I loved guitars.
Go to a music store, around Christmas, New Year and the store is over crowded by fathers, mothers and their son to buy him a guitar, or a "starterskit". (my personal favourite is an Epiphone SG Special, the cheapest, but it really sounds great). My point was, if you really work hard or more, like an extra job, this is also different here than in the USA, to buy your dream guitar, skipping other models, it means (to me) that when you finally hold your guitar in your arms, and you play, that you will play better BECAUSE YOU SAVED FOR THIS GUITAR, you will play more, because you have your "dream guitar" and you are more motivated.
Seeing young people playing a squier, you can see in their eyes how bad they want a real fender. That's my theory, and this can lead to nice discussions.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Well now that you put that way Doc you're right. I guess I got off on a little rant about the new player/professional guitar thing. I've no complaints about my own collection and will add to it as I see fit. I think you're point about motivation with a higher end guitar is certainly true (though not necessarily with a new player). Everyone deserves to own and play a quality instrument especially those of us who've worked hard to obtain that priviledge. It just saddens me when I see a really great player (on the street or in the subway) playing a substandard guitar and then I go to a friend's house and he's decided to take playing up and has a brand new Martin. he has no idea how to play it. That was my point but I do agree with yours restated above.  Playing with others is certainly a big help in improving your playing. I wish I had more time and opportunities to play with others (especially someone more advanced; I've always felt they raise everyone's level).
Again, I don't loath those who buy a high end guitar when they have the means, I loath those who buy it BECAUSE they have the means. Buy it because you want to play AND you know what it means to play AND you can tell the difference between it and a lower model. A beautiful instrument should be played as such...beautifully.

Elvis Costello

It is a common misconception that you are only as good as your tools.  This may be true for those that know how to utilize their tools to their fullest extent, but for the rest of us, it's not really an issue.

I love a beautiful instrument, though.  And I have a fetish for Taylor dreadnoughts.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

It is a common misconception that you are only as good as your tools.  This may be true for those that know how to utilize their tools to their fullest extent, but for the rest of us, it's not really an issue.

I love a beautiful instrument, though.  And I have a fetish for Taylor dreadnoughts.

Thanks...That's the short version of what I was trying to articulate above. Exactly correct Jerome.

Elvis Costello

I think if someone really devotes themselves to learning to play, they can work past the sound of a cheap guitar and just do the best you can with what you have. BUT I do know that it can be a problem when your instrument wont hold tune, or produce the right sound, and it can be discouraging. Its a great feeling when you've been playing on a wore out piece of junk and you finally get to pick up a nice guitar and find you sound better than you thought you did.

All You Need is Love smile

last_rebel wrote:

I think if someone really devotes themselves to learning to play, they can work past the sound of a cheap guitar and just do the best you can with what you have.

That is kind of my point, last rebel.

I think that it is more a matter of "investment" than in the actual cost of the guitar.

If someone making $20,000 per year buys a $100 guitar, are they more or less likely to stick with it and become a better player than someone who makes $200,000 per year who buys a $2000 model?

I tend to think that the level of seriousness can be somewhat measured by the percentage of income invested, but seriousness does not equal discipline.

We all know people who were committed, in their heart and to the bone, to playing the guitar, but couldn't get past the sore fingers, and the frustration of learning the first few chords.

Again, I really think it has MUCH more to do with the quality of the person than the quality of the instrument.

Maybe your observation, phil, means that those who are serious enough to buy a more expensive instrument are more likely to stick with it than the person who buys an inexpensive one, thinking "If I don't stick with it, I won't be out much" (already planning on failure when the purchase is made)? I truly think the motivation of a new guitar happens before the purchase, as opposed to after.

Just play