1 (edited by tflann 2008-02-03 09:14:53)

Topic: Getting strings to ring clear in chords

Hi Everybody,

I'm so new it hurts right now - like my fingers as I'm building up calluses and my playing...

My wife thought I was tuning my guitar when I was trying to learn notes..;-)  But she's supportive...she kind of grinned and said "keep practicing...".

Anyhow, my question:

I have a Sunlite acoustic guitar and when I play "Am7 Chord", I put Finger 1 on Fret 1/String 2, but I keep hitting String 1 or 3 as well, so they don't ring clear.

And then each time I adjust to get one string ringing clear, another is sounding dead.

Is this just part of the learning process? I'll just keep practicing...but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help.
Tflann

Re: Getting strings to ring clear in chords

Hi tflann,

Not one of the experts but I do know it just takes some time and practice to make those chords sound good. It helps to have a supportive wife too. Sounds like you are heading in the right direction on both counts.

Good luch,  "R"

3 (edited by arkady 2008-02-04 18:44:51)

Hi tflann
Welcome to Chordie.

The Am7 chord can be played 31220X with your pinky on the 3rd fret of the 1st E string if it helps though it gives a tonal difference. You then don’t have to worry about touching 1st E and 3rd G strings with the index finger.
Though with practice things slowly come together.
All the best
Ark

I had that problem, so i play them in  barre now, if im playing Am7 open i dont.........I just play Am for all the difference it makes anyway!!!

That defintately is part of the learning process.  You should of heard how my G and D chords sounded for a long time.  It took about four or five months before I could play an F, B, or any bar chord.  Every time you practice chords, they get more clear and sound better.  Your fingers adjust better to the position, and after a while you don't even need to look at your fingers.  Good luck!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot