Re: $600, $1,200, or $2,400 Acoustic?? Need Help!

Hey Ranger 1964, great topic I love hearing about all these different guitars and peoples opinions. Just remember, thats exactly what thay are, OPINIONS. I've heard good guitar players make a $100.00 guitar sound better then my playing on a $2000.00 guitar. I love Taylers and Martins, and I love going to the guitar store and playing all of them, but when it came time to up grade my acoustic electric and actualy put some $$$$ out of my pocket, I wanted to buy one that melted in my hands and sounded great. I'm sure people on this site are getting tired of hearing me say this over and over again, but go and play a Breedlove before you make a purches. Again this is all opinion and of course you should go buy whatever feels right for you.

Dear Ranger, I'm really glad to receive an answer. Imagine, even I am jealous counting my guitars, and having some guitars (US Fender strat 1964, and a Gibson LP custom 1968=first year they started the production).
In which country do you live? I am from Belgium. How old are you? and what kind of music do you play? My English now, compared to a year ago has improved a lot.
What I told, was the story how the collection started. As told: I am blessed to have these guitars. I know 1 thing: the value of these guitars is 3x more expensive since I bought them but they aren't for sale big_smile this isn't also our question. I wrote that it all started with a MARTIN HD-28, and I thought you purchased a HD-28 too?
This MARTIN  GIBSON  TAYLOR  guitars are really great, and if you should ask 100 people, playing guitar, and they have the opportunity, most of them would buy one.
SO MY PERSONAL OPINION = these brands, in particular MARTIN & GIBSON, are burned in our collective memory. You go too a concert, or you read about it: the most famous guitar players do play on these brands. Even more in "electric guitars" GIBSON versus FENDER"
They were also associated with a "guitar god" see Clapton, Hendrix. WORSE these guys get guitars for free '(ENDORSEMENT), see PRS versus SANTANA.
YOUR QUESTION IS SO GOOD, but I am afraid that the "WHY" isn't easy, but since decades MARTIN was the number one. IT'S IMPOSSIBLE TO SAY "MARTIN or GIBSON" sucks. Almost every professional player has one of those, and the why? PROBABLY SO PROMOTED AND WELL-KNOWNED that we associate these brands with guitar players, and that this "HOLY TRINITY" turns into A MUST HAVE. You bought a Martin HD-28 too, so I can ask you the same question. I promess, since I have time, to look on the net to see if there is another reason.
Why are we obsessed to drive a MERCEDES PORSCHE BMW? Other cars are even better. I do hope we keep in touch, and/or you can mail me (see email address). I try everything to find other reasons for the WHY, besides my opinion.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil,

I'm 43 and have been playing a few months and am progressing nicely and I’m happy with my progress.  I know CAGED Em,Am,  G7, E7, etc.  I’ve finally gotten the F but need to work on speed with it next.  I play 40-60 min EVERY DAY.  I am playing lots of songs (playing them well if I do say so myself) and am having a BLAST.  I’m a fairly good singer and my interest in music has been life long and have planned on playing my entire life but I finally did something about it a few months ago when I jumped in and bought an electric guitar. 

I play mostly Country music but I’m the worlds biggest Bruce Springsteen fan so it’s really that I like to play ballads of country, rock, folk etc.

I made my trip through the guitar stores and first tried the Martins and Gibsons. Neither of those gave me the sound I was looking for.  The Gibson's were balanced but didn't have any "punch".  The Martins were quite nice but had a little too much low end for me.  I went to the next store (in a blinding snow storm!) and fell in love with a Taylor.  I eventually worked out a great deal on an 810 CE.  The sound was bright, clear, balanced and had PLENTY of "punch".  I got such a good deal that I'm hoping that my guitars appreciate in value like yours have!!

The only bad news is that my wife is still VERY mad at me!  I guess artists really do have to suffer for their work (lol)!

After having tried so many guitars, I think that I have realized something about the Martins.  Remember when I said that I am still pretty new to guitar.  I think because I'm new and because of the way I still stum like a beginner, the low end of the Martins overwhelmed the high end and so I think a better player can bring a more balanced sound out of the Martin. 

I really love my Taylor but when I become a better player and can handle the unique tones of the Martin, I may get a Martin too!  (plus that will give my wife some time to cool off!)

Regards,

Ranger

Yee Haw

Hi all you music lovers,

I'm looking to get some info about my guitar.It's a 1967 Ovation 1121-4, square label,black numbers , serial F-442.  I've traced the model number on the ovation site that tells me it's a 67 but I'd like to know the exact date of production and if possible it's value. It's in excellent condition and has been modified to electric.  I would appreciate all the information as possible.

Thank You very much for the help.

Ovation2 wrote:

Hi all you music lovers,

I'm looking to get some info about my guitar.It's a 1967 Ovation 1121-4, square label,black numbers , serial F-442.  I've traced the model number on the ovation site that tells me it's a 67 but I'd like to know the exact date of production and if possible it's value. It's in excellent condition and has been modified to electric.  I would appreciate all the information as possible.

I suggest that you post this a new thread.  Otherwise it will be buried in this thread.

Yee Haw

Hi all you music lovers,

Ovation2 wrote:

Hi all you music lovers,

Let's try this again.  You need to go back to the forum index.  In the upper right hand side there is an area that says "post new topic"  that starts a new thread.  Make sure you use a good descpription of the thread so people know what it is about.

Yee Haw

I think it must work, a topic about that guitar, because it does not really belong here.My guess: he read about the ovation in your topic.
I'll look it up, it keeps me busy.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil I understand where you are coming from. Im disabled too. I quit after playing 30 years ago. I started again 3 years ago after getting hurt. I started with some cheap guitars. Then I tried a taylor. This was the sound I was looking for. I bought a 414ce. Needless to say I am over whelmed by the sound. I have a couple of takamines I play too. Also i have a cheap epiphone that rocks. To each his owne, is what guitars are to us. I found my sound. Bluegrass, Folk, Country, Soft Rock. Now I need a better 12 string, and I will get a Taylor. Anyone catch that Bluegrass, Folk music from Texas on PBS. It was great! Good luck to all

2007 Gibson Les Paul 2004 Gibson Les Paul 2008 Gibson Explorer
2006 Martin D12X1 1999 Martin OOC-16DB 2004 Taylor 414ce
2008 Gretsch G 5122,1977 F385 Takamine,1975 F310 Takamine
Peavey Valve King VK 212 Fender DEC Jr.