Topic: Numbness if left index finger

Twice in the last month or so my left index finger has suddenly gone numb while practicing with my band. It was the weirdest feeling-like it had dislocated or hyperextended almost; just dead fron the second knuckle up. As soon as I stopped playing the feeling came back. Last time was this past Saturday (1/12/08), and afterwards the finget was tender when touched just in front of the second knuckle. I played for about an hour last night, no problems, it seems fine today. We were about 4 hours into practice when it started this most recent time, the time before I was about 3 hours into practice and right in the middle of a scorching lead, when, I swear it felt like the finger dislocated and went numb. I stopped playing (because I couldn't!) and the feeling came back. anyone with similar experiences or possible explanations? I've heard of guitar players getting Carpal Tunnel, tendinitis, arthritis, you name it, just wondering if my malady fits the criteria for any of these. Thanks.

Re: Numbness if left index finger

Hi Tennnisbob,

This really does sound to me like repetitive strain.  Theres a very old cure called

" Comfrey Oinment" also "Arnica". I have used this and have recommended it in my  therapy practice.
My clients /family / friends have all had good results with same. My brothers and friends use it when skiing.
Ive used it for sports injuries for many years. along with "Arnica".  Also when you hold any part of the body tense, you can build up lactic acid which is very painful.  Take advice at your local health store. But i do feel its worth a try.

Good Luck.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Re: Numbness if left index finger

There's a good thread going called "Carpal Tunnel Syndrom", just 10 or so back of this thread, check it out.
Mine started with numbness in the tip of my left index finger, then my left index finger, thumb into the back of my hand would CONSTANTLY "fall asleep.  Some good ideas in that thread, they've helped me A LOT.  Check it out & good luck!!

Frank.