Topic: I want help writing songs

hey

I have been playing for a long enough time that i have come up with some good small tabs.
i can start one line and get another line but i can never figure out good ways to make the two go together.
does any artist know how to get a new artist started?
any help would be great. thanks guys!

Toxic wrote:

I am gona fight the war and use my music as a weapon!

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

2 (edited by arkady 2007-12-25 10:47:31)

Re: I want help writing songs

Hi nonetoxic
The foundation of any song is Chords. A progression of Chords overlayed with a melody. The melody can be sung and or picked out with the guitar or any instrument.
Lyrics can come last or first or not all.
Now I know this doesn't help you much but. If you get a chord progression you like the sound of just play around with melodies humming or singing along with the chord changes. You might have in mind some lyrics already so use them with the melodies you might try.
Some people find this process easy and rattle songs off nearly every day. Others struggle to get out one song a year. Others never do.
Hope this helps abit
Good luck
Ark
PS just seen you have just registered so Welcome to Chordie

hi nonetoxic welcome to chordie,i sing the song as i write it then i have a rough idea what chords to put in each song before i post it,but everyone has differe'nt methods of composing .but feel free to ask for help anytime you need it ,we all started at ground zero at one point any there's always something new to learn ....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

A little music theory applied to your problem and you'll have those lines tied up in no time, and you'll be playing them over the appropriate chords.

Why don't you tab one out for us, and see what we can do for you?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

ive never read tab but i'll give it a stab {hey that rymes} your first lesson! just write some words and as you read over them aloud they will suggest a rythem apply some basic chords and see what developes keep it simple

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I am busy again writing a song, but as usual, I have a kind of writers block. I have the melody, it are the lyrics. I tried them in my language, DUTCH, but I have the same problem.
How do you handle problems like this?
What is the reason? and if I wrote some phrases down, are there people with information, to help me on this. Every information, or experience is really welcome.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Doc what's the problem
you say you have lyrics and melody so you must have a chord progression in mind.
What's the block?
Ark

hey guys
I wanted to say thanks for giving me ideas! it has helped and im slowly starting to make some progress. who knows it might show up here someday? O_o

thanks for the support!

The problem with the world is people having lack of commen sense...and warning labels. So if we remove warning labels the problem will fix itself.

Hi nonetoxic - Maybe I'm a little late entering this discussion, but I just stumbled upon a nifty little web gizmo that might be useful for writing songs.

'The Progressionator' is a little application that can help you select and hear different chord sequences.  You can pick the key, strum style, and number of chords you want to use:

http://www.hotfrets.com/songanator.asp
It is down the page (below all the commercial claptrap).  Give it a look and see if it helps.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]