Topic: Strumming Problems

I am haveing problems with strumming patters i know the patterns to the song but when i go to sing it messes me all up, then when there is a pause i dont know how to strum the pause if anyone can help please reply

Re: Strumming Problems

There are no shortcuts or magic books that'll help you with this. It will improve with time, repetition, and lots of practice. In terms of practicing I would recommend using a rythym device such as a metronome or a click track from a keyboard to help improve your meter(timing). Start out simple(all down strokes, two down one up, all up, etc...) and build from there. Good luck.

Give everything but up.

Play it slowly, preferably with a metronome.  Learn the strumming pattern first before singing.  Play until you are comfortable (but not necessary to play it until you can do it without thinking), then add the singing.  Sing quiet at first until you're comfortable, and then sing with enthusiasm.

Second option, if you're old enough and so inclined, get yourself an adult beverage, settle in comfortably in your home, take a little sip, relax and enjoy playing a song you like.  Chilling out and taking off the pressure to 'get it right', and you will be amazed at how much better it'll sound.  About that 'get it right' thing - that's the reason there aren't more Boston albums apparantly.  And also broke up the Eagles so I hear.  In each group, there was a perfectionist that had to 'get it right.'  Not just right, but perfect.  Of course, we know that there is no perfect in music - only perfect by one person's estimation.  It drove the other musicians so crazy that they didn't want to play together any more.  Forget about getting it 'right.'  Get it fun! 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hey thanks everyone for the replies i appreciate it i have only been playing for a year so i guess it will take time

I can only agree with my friends SouthPaw and Zurf. When I started to play centuries ago, I considered myself already as a guitar hero, because I was able to play some chords.
Even much later, I was so used to play songs, using my own style. It is hard to understand, but it is only since 10 months that I started trying strumming in a decent way. My MISTAKES:
- Rhythm problems (a lot better, since I play with a friend, who plays drum as well guitar)
- Strumming problems, like two down, one up, I start to follow the pattern
- The biggest problem is, I play a lot since 3 years, and by playing, often alone, I developed my own style. When I play, people like what I play, unfortunately I don't play songs as written in books, with strumming patterns.
I REALLY DON'T KNOW IF IT WOULD HELP TO FOLLOW PRIVATE LESSONS, because of my style to play.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]