1 (edited by jersey 2007-09-05 11:35:09)

Topic: Hammer open chords whilst strumming

Hi all...

I'm not sure if anyone else has wondered this, but when you see good acoustic guitarists strumming away, they often seem to hammer their fingers on and off the fretboard whilst playing their chords (open and barr) in time with their strumming. I have always wondered what effect this creates whilst playing... or why they do it?  Does anyone know why or can anyone give me an example to try to demonstrate this effect please? Cheers

Jason

Re: Hammer open chords whilst strumming

Hello Jason,

Welcome to Chordie. Maybe someone else can answer you more technically than I although I have been doing this for years. I have just had to pick up my guitar and listen carefully to try and answer you.

As you lift your fingers off the frets it dampens the sound and hammering them back down again starts it momentarily before you strum all to add effect to your playing.

Take care,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Roger

Thank you for taking the time to reply, that is appreciated.

I too tried it and can, sort of see how this 'effect' may add a dimension to the sound, but I'm not sure that it is effective enough to warrant incorporating the technique into my playing. But I have to say, it is used extensively by acoustic players.

I will keep an eye out for anyone out there who can add additional value and thanks again.

I have only recently found this site too, but it is an answer to a prayer - I'm loving it, thank you

All the best

Jason :-)

Just to add little embellishments mostly

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Hi etc_04

Thanks for chiming in....

Do you use this technique yourself?  Do you have an example song, or chord progression where this technique adds significant value over just playing the chord normally....

I know I could try any chord to do this in reality... but I find, say when playing open chord C, the strings just dampen and it doesn't sound that good.....

Cheers

Jason

Yeah I use the technique occasionally, mainly with Am and D.

Check this out...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojgWfOsjuI0

It should help

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

As for the string dampening... Practice makes perfect

-James Marshall Hendrix

Hi etc_04

This is a massive help to me, thank you for taking the time to point this out and answer my query... fabulous...

All the best and thanks again

Jason

G'day jersey,

I do this a bit. To be honest I never thought about why, just seems appropriate. Probably picked it up from listening to too much Eva Cassidy (Ha!! As if that was possible.)

Alec

have a listen to bernard fannings song bird he uses hammer ons at the start, i havent tried playing it without doing it cause dont play it much yet,hope you might hear the diff

barnesy , AlecinOz

Hey guys, thanks for your input here. It is interesting.  Hammer ons to add embelishments are great - difficult to get used to though - my fingers are bleeding !

jersey wrote:

Hi all...

I'm not sure if anyone else has wondered this, but when you see good acoustic guitarists strumming away, they often seem to hammer their fingers on and off the fretboard whilst playing their chords (open and barr) in time with their strumming. I have always wondered what effect this creates whilst playing... or why they do it?  Does anyone know why or can anyone give me an example to try to demonstrate this effect please? Cheers

Jason

If you go on Youtube and check out videos of "Dead Can Dance" you can see the guitarist doing those hammer-ons like you speak of. You can also hear the subtle changes that the hammer-ons cause. They really accent and beautify the music and chords.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

jersey wrote:

Hi etc_04

Thanks for chiming in....

Do you use this technique yourself?  Do you have an example song, or chord progression where this technique adds significant value over just playing the chord normally....

I know I could try any chord to do this in reality... but I find, say when playing open chord C, the strings just dampen and it doesn't sound that good.....

Cheers

Jason

For electric guitar, listen to "Possum Kingdom" by the Toadies.
The main riff uses that hammer-on technique. You will know it when you hear it cause it stands out a lot.

For Acoustic guitar, listen to "American Dreaming" by Dead Can Dance. You will hear it more subtly in this song but it is there.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle