Topic: artist i hugely admire, but dont like

Ed Sherran is an artist that plays stadiums with just guitar and loop pedal.
im amazed and impressed.thought i better check his music out.
well it didnt do anything for me.
i must be wrong as he`s huge.
your thoughts? 

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: artist i hugely admire, but dont like

Heard he is a real nice guy. Not into his music if the kids like it that's okay. I guess it's a sign of getting older and going into decay when new things come my way it just shows I was born on the wrong day.   Remembering we are now the oldies whose ears are tuned differently.     

I loved his appearance in the film Yeasterday. I can take his music or leave it, all music these days sounds the same anyway.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2023-07-04 11:34:09)

Ed does a lot of work for charities, big donor to cancer research.

as far as his music - he has some real nice songs (31 top 10 hits) , and some album fillers, just as all the rest do.
His new album however called " Subtract"  came out this past May - and it was different.  His wife Cherry had a cancerous tumor develop while pregnant - and they could do nothing about til after the child was born.  All went well, they welcomed a baby girl (Jupiter)  and then had the  tumor removed and she was cleared of cancer - but had to undergo some weeks of radiation - she is cancer free.  smile    He also had one of his best friends, Jamal Edwards, die unexpectedly (cocaine and alcohol mix)at the age of 31.
He said it changed him - he threw out over a hundred songs that he had written too choose from for the album - he said ....

"For the first time I'm not trying to craft an album people will like, I'm merely putting something out that's honest and true to where I am in my adult life.

"It's opening the trapdoor into my soul."   "I wrote without thought of what the songs would be, I just wrote whatever tumbled out. And in just over a week, I replaced a decade's worth of work with my deepest, darkest thoughts. ( he went into depression for weeks)
he said " this album was written against "a backdrop of grief and hope".

one other thing ....
He found out that a young woman with downs syndrome was getting married in the USA and he was touring near that city.
He surprised her and her husband at the wedding  reception and played " Thinking Out Loud" for her  - took some pictures with her and her family - - and then left.

The album Subtract  has become one of the fastest selling albums ever.
I do like him better than the rest though due to his compassion and personality.

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

oh sorry guys it was his music that i dont like, as much as ive tried.
as a person he seems a nice guy.     

The King Of Audio Torture