1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2016-12-11 21:55:36)

Topic: Inspired By Zurf: One Song I Can't Get Through......

........ without "choking up" and having to stop......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KChi4xWmcuU

I don't know what it is about that song..... maybe it's because it was recorded near the end of his life, maybe because of the way he loved June, how it must have hurt him physically to record those last tunes and how you can "hear" the pain in voice.... I just know that's one I can't sing.

On another website I wrote about this and one respondent called me an "arrogant SOB" for short-changing my audience. Basically, according to this person I was being arrogant by letting my audience see my emotions.

I know it's happened with my friend Zurf on "Christmas In The Trenches" because it reminds him of his Grandfather, but how about the rest of you? Have you ever not been able to sing a particular song because it made you cry?

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

2 (edited by Peatle Jville 2016-12-11 20:55:57)

Re: Inspired By Zurf: One Song I Can't Get Through......

Johnny Cash is one of my music heros I love that song you put up Bill.  Reading about Zurf Grandfather reminded me of those  old men I knew when I was a kid who had been through the First World War from both sides. I would loved to have met Zurf,s Grandfather. I will attach a Australian song about The first World war by the Pogues about the Australian, New Zealand experience. The Battler of Galipoli is a big part of both  NZ and Aussies military history. We have a day of rememberance called ANZAC day every April.
http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=The … ORM=VDFSRV

yes, believe it or not; HONEY by bobby goldsboro i think? i tried recording it for a friend and got wrapped up in the words...failed!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Excellent songs.  Johnny Cash was a staple in our house growing up.  My mother loved Johnny Cash, and I think also his music.  :-)  Topdown does a version of The Band Played Waltzing Matilda.  I think it's the only song he does that lasts longer than 2:09.  (Hey now, that'll be enough of that!) 

I don't know Honey by Bobby Goldsboro, but I'll check it out. 

Another song I have a hard time getting through is Will The Circle Be Unbroken.  The line about "hear the angels sing along" gets me every time.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

The song I have problems playing is "I Still Can't Say Goodbye", written by Bob Blinn and Jimmy Moore.  Its been recorded by several folks but favorite versions are Merle Haggard (on his Chicago Wind album) and this one by Chet Adkins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwcYKNxXAcw

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs