Topic: FACTS 5

TEN LEFT-HANDED GUITARISTS (I placed a little star next to the names of left handed guitarists, playing a right handed guitar)
- Albert King
- Bob Geldof
- David Byrne *
- Dick Dale: IS HE THE FATHER OF SURF MUSIC? I just know him from Pulp Fiction.
- Jimi Hendrix, often *
- Kurt Cobain
- Mark Knopfler *
- Paul McCartney
- Paul Simon*
- Tony Iommi
Go ahead and give me more facts

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: FACTS 5

From all the photos I can see on the web, both David Byrne and Mark Knopfler play right handed. Am I missing something?

3 (edited by JockMurray 2007-07-20 12:35:27)

I don't think Paul Simon is a lefty too.
http://www.google.com.au/images?svnum=1 … rch+Images

Elliot Easton-The Cars
Seal(plays righty strung guitar lefty) or upsidedown/backwards
Ali and Robin Campbell-UB 40 (only dual lefty gtr/brother combo in pop music history??)
Billy Ray Cyrus(whether or not he's ever plugged in is questionable)
Albert King(plays righty strung guitar lefty) or upsidedown/backwards

Left-handed guitar players are cool !!!!!!!!!!!

Give everything but up.

ACMECORP, you are completely right, concerning the indeed very smart remarks. Because, this means that you are very busy with music too. But, like you wrote, you missed something, because I put a little star next to the names of guitar players, being left handed, but playing a right handed guitar, and at least some of them even played right handed. So probably I, and you too, will need some fans of Mark Knopfler, who have a dvd to see how they holsd there guitar.
I am already entering an age, old enough to be a fossile, and I knew, there was a time, when you were a lefty, they almost used handcuffs to teach you working, writing with your right hand, I am not joking, because a few paople told "them" that writing with your left hand was the devil's work.
That's why I put that little star. Sadly enough, I didn't have the time to check if I had a DVD, but I think I must have the Knopfler/Emilou Harris one.
Thanks
Hope you enjoy this stuff, this site, because it is getting bigger and bigger, and the point is NOT am I right, but to put topics, answering other topics, and starting discussions

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

dont forget Kris Rowe (the ataris)

I'm a fossil as well, (48) smile

This topic is interesting to me because I'm ambidexterous, but play the guitar right-handed, I'm going to have a go at upside-down  playing to see if I can do it! For instance I play cricket and baseball left-handed, eat left-handed i.e. kinfe in left hand. I used to play golf left-handed but had to stop because of disabilty.

I used to be a carpenter and again used woodworking tools with either hand.

I think you are right to start the discussions, keep them coming.

cheers

David

There is also Graham Russell from Air Supply. He plays a right handed guitar, left handed.

There is a video of "All Out Of Love" which is fascinating to watch his way of playing.

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=f … 6be.955153

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

i had a big massive poster once of Angus Young from AC/DC
On the poster it showed him playing left handed, I thought for ages he was a lef handed player but then after watching videos and seeing them, I now know the poster was deceiving.
the poster was in fact a mirror image that made it look like he was playing it left handed.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I'm not completely positive, but I don't think Hendrix was a lefty. I've heard that he was ambidexterous, although I know he played the guitar left handed with the Experience, he played right-handed with Little Richard... and I'm thinking he used to even write right-handed

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

Hi etc
I think Hendrix  mostly played a right-handed Fender Stratocaster upside-down and left-handed.
When not using his teeth.

Ark

Yeah that was with the Jimi Hendrix Experience... when he played guitar with Lil Richard's band he played right-handed. And the teeth-playing was definitely crazy

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix