Topic: Someone tell me to practice!!!

Only thing I've done of any merit whatsoever since coming back from Florida is to figure out the intro to Devil's Right Hand.  I haven't run one scale.  I haven't done one control exercise.  I haven't even unpacked Tiny.  She's still sitting there in the case wondering what she did wrong. 

I've strummed out a few songs I know cold, just for comfort.  But I haven't done one challenging thing.  Because lets face it, three different D chords isn't too awful hard to figure.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Someone tell me to practice!!!

Hey Zurf ................. PRACTICE !!!!

wink
DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'm expecting great things in June. Better get on it. smile

PRACTICE!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thank you.  Not happening.  Thank you.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

No more amnesty from the B chord for you. we can protest!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Practice?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGDBR2L5kzI

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Zurf ... don't practice!

Instead, just play with the darn thing and have some fun. Everyone needs a break from the formal rigors once in a while, and that's not a bad thing ... it's usually necessary. Put on some concert clips of your favorite groups playing favorite songs you know, play along like you're one of the band, and imagine the applause at the end is for you! It's simple escapism, but take a break and enjoy it ...the student in you will come back all on his own.

dino48 wrote:

No more amnesty from the B chord for you. we can protest!

You can protest, but I'll send Russell more bass strings and we'll see who comes out on top.  If the bass strings don't work, I'm shameless enough to ship cookies.

I've got a new project to work on.  In addition to working out the rest of Devil's Right Hand, I'm going to work on a mash-up of Cherry Cherry and The Authority Song.  That will challenge my timing on the strums!  Still stuck in songs from the 70's it seems, but you know one thing at a time. 

- Zurf

Zurf get off your butt and pick it no excuses or I will revoke your amnesty, lol even I go through periods of a day or so myself but then i just pick up the guitar and start playing usually it is the acoustic that snaps me out of my mood

"Growing old is not for sissies"

11 (edited by Dirty Ed 2015-04-10 14:03:23)

Zurf- maybe it was the return to cold weather after spending a few days in sunny Florida?  Like you, I haven't really done one challenging thing since returning from Chordiestock.  I've been playing a lot - going through my songs, timing the lengths, sorting out the different types and themes and trying to pare my song list down to fit into a 90 minute window for a song writer's showcase I'll be performing in a couple weeks, but I haven't written anything new, played anything new or done anything challenging since leaving Jeff's.  Anyone else who attended chordiestock have similar symptoms? Could it be some sort of Madeira Beach Musician's Malady?  Or some sort of long term hangover from all the adult beverages consumed? Hmmmmm...... there probably were quite a few brain cells destroyed wink

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Zurf, I won't be the one to tell you to practice. I haven't picked up a guitar in 2 weeks so I feel your pain. Don't know what's wrong with me but it does sound that you have your challenges laid out for yourself. I guess my problem is not knowing where I want to go (learn) next. Last time I played I did notice that 3 of the wound strings on my 12'r had seperated at the bridge so I do need to change out my strings. Just need to get off my arse and get it done. Why don't you do the same?

Nela

I think we all go through ups and downs with our music. It's a natural progression,the peaks and valleys. Sometimes,after taking a break for awhile,I'll come back to something I was struggling with,and pick it up right away. As said above,just play something for the fun of it. An old favorite song,just strumming the chords. Next thing you know you're moving along to the next song,and the next,and the next one after that.

Make practice fun,not a chore. No one likes chores!

Dirty Ed wrote:

Could it be some sort of Madeira Beach Musician's Malady? 
DE

I like that! "Madeira Beach Musician's Malady" must be why I am still stuck playing the same 3 chords for the past 4 years!

Actually, to get me playing again, I had another party at my place Easter Sunday - Bee Rad, Jeff Graves (he was the bald guy that was there Friday night) and Steve came over and enjoyed 7 lbs of lamb kabobs. Nothing real challenging or new music wise, but every time I get to play with a group I learn something. Jeff G is an amazing player.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

15 (edited by Russell_Harding 2015-04-10 17:42:34)

Speaking of challenging I was watching an old series on Netflix "Crossing Jordan" and one of the songs that they played in the segment was a tune by John Hiatt "Thirty years of tears" I was moved by the chord progression and the lyrics and found it here on Chordie and printed out the lyrics and bookmarked the audio recording needless to say I am rehearsing it sometimes all it takes is one song to motivate you this song presents a challenge not only for the progression but the slide solo as well so maybe that's one way to get the juices flowing find a song you like that is not easy to play just a thought. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Picked up my guitar today, and it actually has cobwebs on it! Like you, I am finding it hard to practise, and learn new songs at the moment. I don't play open-mics any more, or with my singing group (now disbanded), so I don't really have anything to work towards. Maybe you need to arrange some more of your "Home Jams"? Are you planning any camping trips/jams in Virginia this summer?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Father's Day weekend a few folks are getting together along the Potomac.  I'm sure that I'll have a wings and beer kind of thing in the back yard sometime or other.  Though looking at the calendar, just about every weekend is booked through the end of August.  It's disgusting. 

- Zurf

I did just buy an absolutely enormous bottle of bourbon today, so I am ready for Skypeing.  Perhaps we should all get together and lackadaisically perform old stuff.

I am lucky, I never have to practice as I teach between one and four hours a day so I get a lot of playing done as a matter of course. Then again, I am geriatric and retired so I have a good excuse for not practicing but you, Young Zurf, have no excuse. Get your finger out and get them to work on that guitar of yours.

lol Roger lol

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Zurf wrote:

I did just buy an absolutely enormous bottle of bourbon today, so I am ready for Skypeing.  Perhaps we should all get together and lackadaisically perform old stuff.

My brother and I have been Skypeing for a couple months now. It isn't a perfect setup but it isn't as bad as what I was led to believe either. We were fooling around with "Melissa" last night for a couple hours. We've only been using it for a couple months and it's only been the two of us. Wonder if a multi-person call is any different?

Hmmmmmm? Maybe a new thread is in order to discuss this.

Carnegie Hall, Zurf. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Zurf wrote:

Pratice or you will wake up one morning soon with two Trophy Salmon fish Heads in your bed!!

Hey Zurf.......Time to practice!