Topic: Copying to MS Word

I have previously (like 12 months ago) been able to copy a song to Word with the chords written over the words of the song instead of in amongst them but can no longer do so.  I have been looking through posted questions and answers, but the impression I'm getting is that it is no longer possible to do this.   Can it be done or not, and if so how?

Re: Copying to MS Word

Hello christu & wlecome to the forum!
The real  question here is - 'Why do you need to put the songs in Word?'  Using the little 'print' icon on the song's page will print the song just like it appears on the screen.  If you want to edit the content or appearance of the song, you can do that using the 'edit' button at the end of the song's listing in your songbook.  Likewise, if you want to share the song with a friend, the 'e-mail' button send a link. 

When you copy a chordpro-formatted song off chordie and into Word, you will see song in it's 'raw' form (chords embedded within the lyric along with some other strange sights).  This is called chordpro format - it is a way of making a song so that it can be converted into the nice layout that appears on your screen.

Chordpro allows the song's chords to be transposed and enables other nice features.  Believe it or not, it is a very efficient and flexible system.  If the raw song file is coded correctly, the conversion yields a nice, easily-readable page with chord grids and other nifty-keeno doo-dads.  Chordpro also allow the chords to be precisely postioned within the lyric (rather than using tabs or spaces above the lyric line).

Some song files in chordie's index are not in chordpro style - perhaps the songs you were copying into Word several months ago were not chordpro style?  If that is the case, they would have transferred into Word with no changes in appearance.

So, basically - the answer is 'If a song is in chordpro, it will look funny in Word'.  You can still put the songs into Word, but why bother?

Sorry my resonse is so long - hope it helps!
James McCormick

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Thanks for the prompt reply to my question.
I wanted to transfer songs to Word because that's where I already have close to two hundred songs edited to my liking and it is easier to add songs to those. Whether I can transfer them to a chordie song book I don't know.
I still think it would be a good feature for chordie, is there some piracy, protection reasion that you don't want this to happen?   
Great site though - keep up the good work.

Having a big library of stuff in word all edited to your liking is quite a collection.  Glad you enjoy what chordie has to offer -

Regarding chordpro - No - it is not a matter of avoiding piracy, it is just that chordpro format is an excellent way to make a song file.  It is not dependent on a particular font or printer, and it allows easy transposition and some other amenities.  Chordie does not host any of the songs in it's index - it merely crawls the web, finds, formats, and presents what it has found in a pleasing form.

There is a nice downloadable chordpro converter that is downloadable shareware.  It is called 'Songsheet Generator'.  You can google it up - I think the author requests $15 from persons who decide to keep and use the program.  A website called bythechord.com also has a nice little feature where you can drop a text file into it's converter and get a nice printed page.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Create a .pdf file of the word document & the Chordie songbook and then insert the pages from one into the other. There is no conversion issues. Just print each document to pdf. If you don't have this feature go to adobe.com & download acrobat.  I created the booklet of 250+ pages for free in just a matter of 1 minute and I carry it around on my thumb drive so it will always be on hand. Why work any harder than needed.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

I can't let people publish songbook with songs they enter into Chordie. That could get me into trouble. It is very likely that I will add a feature letting you add new songs (I promised this earlier). However it will not be possible to publish these books.

The good old Copyright issue.

There is a guy on my block who lives for rock, he plays records day and night, and when he feels down he puts the rock and roll on and it makes him feel alright. - The Kinks, Rock And Roll Fantasy

do amyone of you know a program that copy the chord written in the format 032010 like a grid on a clipboard in order to copy it subsequently the chord in msword like a chord grid??

if u know aprogram like this or similar  it please send me an email