1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2013-10-14 12:30:24)

Topic: Staining a Fretboard

If anyone has stained a fretboard before, I'd appreciate a bit of feedback.

My EP Les Paul Custom (Black) came with a rosewood fretboard, unlike the Gibson which traditionally came with ebony. In looking at them both at a music store, the ebony looks better on the black guitar (IMHO). After watching several YouTube vids about staining the fret board, it would seem that it's as simple as using a MinWax "Ebony" pen, doing a good masking tape job beforehand, and then taking ones time doing the application, wiping, etc. However ... we all know that nothing's ever quite as simple as it seems!

Any tips would be appreciated. And... are there any unforseen hazards I should watch for?

As an aside, it seems that Gibson is replacing Ebony with a synthetic called "Richlite", for various reasons being speculated upon. Does anyone here own a guitar with a Richlite fingerboard? Comments?

Re: Staining a Fretboard

If it is strictly cosmetic reasons. Maybe you should leave it alone. If the grain raises from whatever you use, you will wish you did. Is the fretboard solid or a veneer over a cheaper wood. Usually a nice looking binding on the neck is covering up a veneer on a lower priced guitar.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'm with jjj on this, woodworking is a hobby of mine and I have found that staining can raise the grain. You can use super fine sandpaper or steel wool to smooth out the finish but it's my belief that removing wood can effect tonal quality (maybe for the better or maybe not). If it aint broke don't fix it. Might be a good time to relieve GAS by making a trip your favorite guitar shop.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Which ever way you go, it probably is simple. I'm not familiar with staining it.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

It shouldn't be a big deal really. My first thought is the edge of the fretboard. If there is no binding and the clear from the neck covers the fretboard edge, you will have to remove the clear. That might be a little tougher depending on what clear it is. I think it would look cool.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Saw a stained fretboard last week. Places where the strings touched the wood when played wore back the original light color. It looked really bad.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Worn areas are a guitars badge of honor. I say don’t mess with it. Just buff it with some steel wool, use 0000 with some metal polish, on your frets. Be sure to tape the wood off.   Soak the wood with lemon or mineral oil and buff with a micro fiber rag.  It will look brilliant!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks for the tips and insights, everyone.

Perhaps I will just leave it as is. Sounds like I could create some irreversible troubles.

Tenement Funster wrote:

Thanks for the tips and insights, everyone.

Perhaps I will just leave it as is. Sounds like I could create some irreversible troubles.

Just clean it up like I mentioned. For polishing my frets, I tape them all off like all the vids will show you, If you need to use sandpaper, start with the lightest method first , but 1000, 1500, an if you really want to make it pop, 3000 for me are usually enough.  Then use a good metal polish. My personnel favorite is S100 Total finish restorer. (I use it on my bike and my guitars!) After that is all done, and polish is removed (watch the tight edges where compound and polish like to hide), I use mineral oil on my rosewood.  You will hear different opinions but most tend to either go mineral or lemon.  They soak in nice and buff to a nice luster. smile

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)