Topic: Strumming Pattern for Bad Moon Rising

Looking for the strumming pattern and timing for Bad Moon Rising CCR.

Re: Strumming Pattern for Bad Moon Rising

Here's how I play it:

Verses:
D           A      G      D
S DUDU  DDU  DDU  S DUDU  DDUDU

Chorus:
G                          D                          A          G            D
S DUDU  DDUDU     S DUDU  DDUDU     SDUDU   SDUDU    SDUDU

S = scratch,chop,mute, whatever you call it.

Not sure on the actual timing.

Let me know if that makes sense.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate strum pattern questions because I really think the only way to learn them is to "feel" the song and develop them yourself. I doubt I ever strum the same song with the same pattern twice.

That said as a newbie, I totally understand getting hung up on patterns as I was the same way starting off. Welcome to chordie talkingrock, here's a vid that may help with your question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E9cDytsOmA

He discusses strumming towards the end.

Hope that helps, but I encourage you to experiment with your own patterns and learn to feel the song and strum whatever sounds good!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks very much... as a newbie and starting guitar at 50 i need all the help i can get..I tried to figure the strumming out by listing to the song a thousand times... but it didn't sound right..
Any easy songs you could forward would be greatly appreciated.

You can't get it by listening a thousand times.
You have to play along with the video a thousand times.
Figure out the lyrics and chords - then play along with until you match the rhythm of the arrangement.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

talkingrock wrote:

Thanks very much... as a newbie and starting guitar at 50 i need all the help i can get..I tried to figure the strumming out by listing to the song a thousand times... but it didn't sound right..
Any easy songs you could forward would be greatly appreciated.

It`s great to see people starting later in life. Go for it and have fun with it. There are a lot of easy guitar books you can buy at guitar  center or amazon. One that is good is" The beatles complete easy guitar". Easy to play and the songs are in large print and best of all,most songs are only on one or two pages.Ask anyone how aggravating it is to stop and turn a page. I bought the book in 1983 and I still turn to it and my daughter uses it a lot. Well worth the money.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I agree with Topdown and Tubatooter 100%.

I started playing when I was 11 and later this year I will officially become a pensioner (still feel 20 though smile) so I have been playing a long time and the question of strumming patterns is something I have never asked.

I believe that far too many novice guitarist try to play complicated rhythms before they have mastered playing the basic 4 (or sometimes 3) main beats to a song. Those basic beats have to so ingrained that they are instinctive and nothing can distract from them. (One of the exercises I do with my students is to play together a simple 4 beat rhythm and then hold a conversation with them about school, sport or anything else of interest and see if they can hold it). Only then should double time and up stroke rhythms be attempted. Then it comes down to knowing the song well enough so you can hear it in your head to play the rhythm if you are trying to copy it, or to have in mind what you want to hear and play it your own way.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

8 (edited by Newbie Dean 2012-02-12 13:57:40)

As you can tell, I'm a NEWBIE myself.  I started this almost 3 years ago at age 60 and having a riot.  As far as strumming, I have the same problem.  I listen to the original arrangement and try to play along with it.  I mute the strings and just try to match the strum/beat of the song.  I was working on a song the other day when my wife had a suggestion.  We enjoy dancing of all types, she was dancing a 2-step to the tune I was listening to and trying to develope a strum.  She said "try stumming to the dance step; slow-slow-quick-quick 2-step".  It sounded pretty good!  I played that a few times and then modified it stightly from that.  It worked for me.  good Luck.

Keeping It Fun, Dean
'91 Epiphone PR350E
'11 Taylor GC3
'15 Taylor GS Mini/Mahogany

I agree with Topdown , getting the "Feel" of the song is alot to learning it. I also don't play the song the same way twice. Don't get discouraged some songs take longer to learn, it doesn't matter how long you've been playing. Stick with it . Everyday we play is a learning experience for all of us.
  Joe

This may sound wierd but it works for me. Sing the rythym part in your head with Dum Dum Dee Dums or Doo Doo Doo`s and strum it playing air guitar. Then you can try it on a real guitar. Plus if the air guitar is out of tune,it won`t sound so bad. It works for me.I don`t know if anyone else does this. My wife complains that I play in my sleep sometimes. Not with an actual instrument but just playing in my sleep.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I can't dance either!

TMI Joey.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

TMI ? what does it stand for?

Enjoy Every Sandwich

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

TMI ? what does it stand for?

The Mental Institution? smile

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

OK I plead insanity. I`m crazy about that kind of stuff.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Too Much Information.

We didn't need to know about what you play with in bed.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

17 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-02-12 23:12:34)

Playing guitar in my sleep. Pull your minds out of the gutter. It`s a good thing I don`t play bongo`s.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

Good zguitar.  Joey, I never used that excuse before.  I'm playing my guitar honey, go back to sleep.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Newbie Dean wrote:

As you can tell, I'm a NEWBIE myself.  I started this almost 3 years ago at age 60 and having a riot.  As far as strumming, I have the same problem.  I listen to the original arrangement and try to play along with it.  I mute the strings and just try to match the strum/beat of the song.  I was working on a song the other day when my wife had a suggestion.  We enjoy dancing of all types, she was dancing a 2-step to the tune I was listening to and trying to develope a strum.  She said "try stumming to the dance step; slow-slow-quick-quick 2-step".  It sounded pretty good!  I played that a few times and then modified it stightly from that.  It worked for me.  good Luck.

Your wife is brilliant, and so are you for listening to her.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

zguitar wrote:

Too Much Information.

We didn't need to know about what you play with in bed.

Z, Did I ever say in bed? I said in my sleep. No one has ever fallen asleep in a chair in front of the TV?(especially when my wife has Lifetime on). Everyone took one little comment and dragged it to its lowest level. Not to play "POT AND KETTLE', I probably would have thought the same thing if one of you wrote it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

JoeyX3 - chill my brother, I am sure Pete was just joking

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Just tryin' to have a little fun....besides Pete started it!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Point taken All ok. Never was mad to begin with.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

What I have found with CCR is played in C,G,F and in between each chord change through in bass runs.