Topic: FRAS

Fly Rod Acquisition Syndrome

Two 7 weight fly rods in the past few days.  One is medium action for nymphing and getting a lot of power into underweighted line for casting into the wind (the opposite of the modern idea that you need heavy line to "punch" the wind) and the second is a 10' 7 weight fast action for long casts of large bass bugs and poppers.   At least former was a gift.  It had better have been because it's a Scott rod worth about the same as the 000-15M Martin I have my eye on. 

The water had better warm soon.  I go broke nearly every winter because I buy stuff instead of using it.  When I can get on the water to use the stuff, I am not out buying more. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: FRAS

Zurf,
Anyway you could rig up the Martin 000-15M for fly fishing? That would be a win-win!
dj

I have found that guitars are of much greater use back at camp than out on the river.  If you play well enough, people won't mind you doing it to have music while they go about the camp chores.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

You have a better chab=nce of rowing a boat with a martin 000-15 than with  a fly rod. Just a little food for thought.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Zurf, buying a new fly rod is a noble undertaking, but fraught with danger. Does the wife know?

I own 11 fly rods, including a very early split cane that I reworked, and spent many hours rebuilding. Spent a fortune, over time, and now, I barely fish with it. It's an 8 footer, 5 weight, three piece, finished in dark brown wrappings with a tasteful gold trim. I barely fish with it because it is so beautiful to look at and I'm afraid of breaking it. When I do take it out on a stream, it actually will draw a crowd of envious anglers.

Truth be told, it has an awfully slow action, and your cast timing had better adjust, or man, can you look foolish in a big hurry.

Congrats on the new rods.
Tight lines!!

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I have two bamboo rods that will never see another stream.  They belonged to my grandfather's older brother.  My grandfather was born in the late 1880's.  That should give you an idea of the age of these rods.  I broke a spinning rod of Uncle Harold's when I was a boy and I've not forgotten it.  It was my largest smallmouth for decades though, and from a trout stream no less.  So, a good fish to break a memorable rod. 

Anyway, Uncle Harold's fly rods won't see the water. 

My wife does know about the rods.  I'm eager to get them to the water to test them out.  Thinking about pulling out the waders today just to get them out.  It's only 20F degrees though and the wind is blowing a steady 15mph, so perhaps I'll wait.  Backyard casting with these just won't cut it. 

- Zurf

Yes, I understand that, Zurf. My cane rod is used sparingly, mostly for little "specks" when I venture north. The little trout I'm talking about are generally in the 10-16 inch size range. Great fun and they are very willing to take a dry fly. The slow action of the cane rod is very good for soft presentation of dries, but terrible in the wind. I never fish my can rod in canopy-covered streams. My favourite place is to stand atop a beaver dam and fish the pool above.

I still love it.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"

One of the rods I just got is a medium action very similar to a cane rod.  But it has the power of a graphite rod. 

When it comes to wind, something I read by Lefty Kreh is what I'm going to try.  He said that most people go up in size and try to 'punch' through the wind.  He suggests going down in weight so that you get more line speed at the tip and a smaller profile in the line to be less affected by the wind.  I can't say whether it'll work, but there's some sense to it, and it's tough to argue against Lefty Kreh's advice on anything related to casting a fly line. 

- Zurf

zurf,
So what your saying is you moved beyond the Zebco 33?
dj

Don't knock the Zebco 33 DJ!!!!!! There's a reason they still make them, they are awesome. One of those if it ain't broke don't fix it kinda things. Like the old Mitchell reels. Those were made for like 40 years I think.

I need to get my license and go catch some fish.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Nope.  I still use Zebco push-button spincasting reels with my daughters.  My youngest has terrific aim with her ScoobyDoo rod.  I tried to give her a better quality rod last year and she wanted to stick with ScoobyDoo.  I've got a few rods rigged up for kids and take the neighborhood girls out on the rare afternoons there isn't something else scheduled.  One time I had to stop at a discount clothing store and then over to a friends house because in the time it took me to help out my eldest daughter, the youngest and two of her friends were sitting in mud with the water up to their armpits and laughing their fool heads off.  It's a good thing they had to sit in booster seats or they'd have ruined my truck's bench seat.  It was a little awkward sending them home in different clothes and telling their parents that they'd get the regular clothes and shoes back after I got the laundry done.  The parents, knowing that we are a safe family, had no problems with me giving them baths at my friend's house and providing a change of warm, dry clothes.  The moms weren't so keen on me traipsing little mud-demons through Gabriel Brothers, though, especially when I told them that I bumped into our pastor while we were there.  My friend's wife helped with the baths to keep everyone's reputation intact. 

- Zurf

edited by Zurf for clarity.

I have an ultralite spincast rod n reel, and I use it a lot in the summer. It is 4.5 feet long, uses 2-4 lb test line, and is ideal for fishing spots with overhead cover. Very accurate up to 50 foot casts with enough backbone to handle 4-5 lb smallies.
I wouldn't go on a walleye fishing trip without it. It is very sensitive to those walleye takes that you often miss with a heavier rod, and is a great little finesse rod. It's not a Zebco - Shakespeare, I think.
Like all anglers, I own about a dozen rods more than I actually need, but, what the hell, it keeps those CHinese busy, doesn't it?