Re: Looking for tips on Refinishing a Strat body

thanks toots I gotta get some new strings and set the string height smile

tubatooter1940 wrote:

It looks great, Russell. You did good, boy!

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Roger it looks retro which is what I was aiming for and also the same color as my 62 tele that was ripped off I must have had this in the back of my mind and it influenced me smile

Roger Guppy wrote:

Great job Russ and I am pleased to see that you have chrome hardware on her, she looks gorgeous.

Roger

glad you like it joey thank you for following this project and all your comments smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

looks fantastic. Great job!!!!!

thank you smile

bluejeep wrote:

Very very nice, I tip my hat to you sir.

Russell I think you said you were going to get some gold things from amazon,that would look super with the red. Nows the hard part cleanup, Did you use your kitchen or bath exaust fans ? you may have some paint there

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino I still plan on the gold hardware but I am a tad short this month on cash it can wait,I did all the spraying in my shower with a large drop cloth and I still had to vacume dust off the floor and wipe all the shelves the exhust fan in the bathroom really helped a lot most of the mess is cleaned up I stll have to take out a lot of garbage bags of empty paint cans and rags but tomorrow is soon enough smile

I took the advise of several members and wet sanded it,after careful concideration I realized I could not live with a second best effort so I spent the day sanding with 600,1000,1500 Polishing compound and Carnuba when I have some time I will put all the videos and photos together this is the final finish,done I cant get it any better smile

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/417020_3305366191746_1195741929_3526807_1330538718_n.jpg

Reminds me of my candy apple red mustang! SWEET!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Seems like the extra sanding brought out some more shine on it russell. looks like a pro painted it!!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Top,candy apple is a cool color smile

topdown wrote:

Reminds me of my candy apple red mustang! SWEET!

Thanks dino I never sanded this much on anything but once I seen the results of a small area I knew I had to do the whole thing smile

dino48 wrote:

Seems like the extra sanding brought out some more shine on it russell. looks like a pro painted it!!!

137 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-02-12 09:04:25)

Stupid question. What is the tortoise shell spot on the pickguard? It wasn`t there before. Also, great choice on the color,It looks fantastic.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

lol its not a stupid question joey its a piece of plastic that sticks by itself sort of a mini pickguard it can be removed I just wanted to try it out and see if I liked it I dont so it will be gone because it distracts from the overall concept thank you for the nice comments smile

joeyjoeyjoey wrote:

Stupid question. What is the tortoise shell spot on the pickguard? It wasn`t there before. Also, great choice on the color,It looks fantastic.

Couldnt you paint the mini pickguard to match the one .you just painted?Or cut one from plexiglass. It does really distract from the look.After all,I noticed it

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

It looks great Russ. Super job!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Thanks D.S. and to all who have provided hints and ideas and in restrospect concidering the total cost of time and materials if I ever do this again I am paying a pro,dont get me wrong I gained a lot from the experience to be sure and I dont think there is nothing wrong with attempting this kind of project it was harder then going on my 1st date or playing my first gig but I can think of more pleasurable activities for my time and thats the key,time but I had to do it just once unlike skydiving if you fail theres always another attempt. lol

Russell, Imagine what it would have been like if it had been a full size Piano!

Full size piano`s would take 60 cans of krylon dino

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I would have donated it smile

dino48 wrote:

Russell, Imagine what it would have been like if it had been a full size Piano!

Russell_Harding wrote:

Thanks D.S. and to all who have provided hints and ideas and in restrospect concidering the total cost of time and materials if I ever do this again I am paying a pro,dont get me wrong I gained a lot from the experience to be sure and I dont think there is nothing wrong with attempting this kind of project it was harder then going on my 1st date or playing my first gig but I can think of more pleasurable activities for my time and thats the key,time but I had to do it just once unlike skydiving if you fail theres always another attempt. lol

Yep I proved that point to my wife about painting my motorcycle myself..  I spent  more than a shop would have charged me by the time I added all the sales slips for the dupli color and extras. Not to mention all my time!  AS You said, great experiance, came out good, and learned to let the pros do it while you borrow your buddies extra bike and have fun riding!

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

146 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2012-02-14 08:40:53)

beamer wrote:
Russell_Harding wrote:

Yep I proved that point to my wife about painting my motorcycle myself..  I spent  more than a shop would have charged me by the time I added all the sales slips for the dupli color and extras. Not to mention all my time!  AS You said, great experiance, came out good, and learned to let the pros do it while you borrow your buddies extra bike and have fun riding!

Same thing when I painted my f-150. It was still cheaper than a shop. But I also got to know a lot of my neighbors. They would stop and talk while I was doing the bodywork. That made it worth the effort. I almost hated to get it finished. I got a lot of compliments on the job too.The experience and getting to know neighbors was great.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

A house painter I used to work with painted his own paint-spattered Ford mini-van.
He sanded it with an electric sander, brushed on a coat of oil based stain kill primer and a coat of high gloss white exterior latex.
Wasn't factory perfect but it looks good if you squint a little.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

If you have the right tools and the training with a paint booth compressor paint gun etc it is less expensive and time consuming then the way russ or jjj did there painting. I did my cars for around $50.00 each, after I bought a compressor spray gun and a sander cost for all 3 about $225.00