Topic: science and inventors

we've all been dicussing a variety of topics lately, but i'd like to see how people theorise a few questions that have bothered me for some time?

1) we know that nobel "invented" dynamite, but who first thought of putting those ingredients together (in china) to create explosives? was that person trying to make something else?

2) if the big bang created everything and all matter in the universe was created in the first seconds, where did the space and the matter come from in the first place? God will not surfice as an answer.

3) by the same token as question 1, who and how did the first people come up with the idea of chipping a bit of stone to make tools and weapons?

is it any wonder i suffer with headaches?

i have many more questions, but i think these will do for now

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: science and inventors

In 1863, TNT or Trinitrotoluene was invented by German chemist Joseph Wilbrand. It is considered a high explosive. This was 4 years before Nobel patented it.  The big bang theory is a difficult one.  Space and matter were just there, I guess.  As to the tools and weapons, you give man long enough and he will come up with new inventions.  I really don't know the answers, as you can see.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

On your question number 2, the simple answer given is from a 'singularity', which is a mathematical possibility but does nothing to explain where the singularity comes from.  I am a man of faith and do answer the question with 'God'.  However, as far as I am concerned, each answer fails to satisfy the curiosity. 

I have a friend who most closely aligns his faith to what I would term a "Naturist".  He is a man of science - with research awards and degrees to support the claim.  For years I have told him that there is no conflict between faith and science and that each require faith and in precisely the same places.  This is one such place.  Whence comes the first "thing?"  Thomas Acquinas used as proof of God the uncaused first cause.  It is the same.  Scientists explain by saying "singularity", and when we dive further they get into cross-universe threads, which still does not address whence came the first thing?

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Questions #1 and 3 were answered by Pete and as to question #2, God will suffice as the answer.  Take two aspirins and play your guitar in the morning.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

#2 is fundamentally unanswerable.  The big bang created time and space (being relative and all), so in essence, there was no "before the big bang."   It also didn't expand into anything.  It is an expansion "of space."  Not expansion "into space."

The Chinese used explosives for fireworks for thousands of years.  I'm not sure who thought of firearms or explosives.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by bunbun 2012-01-05 06:23:35)

Zurf wrote:

On your question number 2, the simple answer given is from a 'singularity', which is a mathematical possibility but does nothing to explain where the singularity comes from.  I am a man of faith and do answer the question with 'God'.  However, as far as I am concerned, each answer fails to satisfy the curiosity. 

I have a friend who most closely aligns his faith to what I would term a "Naturist".  He is a man of science - with research awards and degrees to support the claim.  For years I have told him that there is no conflict between faith and science and that each require faith and in precisely the same places.  This is one such place.  Whence comes the first "thing?"  Thomas Acquinas used as proof of God the uncaused first cause.  It is the same.  Scientists explain by saying "singularity", and when we dive further they get into cross-universe threads, which still does not address whence came the first thing?

I am not a religious man...or rather I am not a fan of organized religion. I believe in God. The quote above reminded me of something I read about Science Fiction writers: One may not find a writer who believes in religion but just about every single one of them believe in God.

Their reasoning? Many things attributed to God CAN be explained by science yet there are too many things in science that cannot be explained.

The Big Bang may be explained by the presence of God. I am sure that in the future there will be a widely accepted, cogent theory for the Big Bang that does not include: "It was God's work", but as an agnostic (not atheist) I feel that God's hand is part of everything that happened.

I just think he does it differently. I also believe he leaves these little (little?) puzzles for us as part of our development as a race. He wants us to have knowledge but also wants us to work for it so we appreciate it.

when you look out at the other worlds in our solar system, you begin to realise how lucky(?) we are to be alive and existing in this so very hostile universe. you can argue that God created the uyniverse, and life on Earth! to me, it's just too easy to explain away the whole "miracle" of life, the Earth,the universe and everything by saying God did it. that's what "organised" religion has been doing for the last 2000 years. because we cant explain why we're alone in the universe, "mankinds" greater brain power has reasoned that it must be the hand of a greater being (GOD). it's a question that has bothered me for many years, and will continue to plague my mind till i find the answer. most likely that answer wont appear till i shuffle off this mortal coil and my atoms are returned to whence they came....the universe, or God, if that's where they came from?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Before dismissing the possibility of God on the basis of its convenience to the question that interests you, it may be worth your while to put some effort into the direct question, "Is there a God?" and considering the evidence for or against that question.  Once you resolve whether there is or is not a God, then consider where he fits or does not fit.  While I am convinced there is a God, and specifically the God of Abraham as described by the Christian faith, I think there is a great deal that is attributed to him for which he is not directly accountable.  Trying to answer all the questions at once will be far too difficult, I think.  Dismissing a possible answer because it is too convenient, especially considering Occam's razor which states that the simplest answer is usually the right one, makes little sense to me.  Most any scientist or logistician worth his salt will look at the various possibilities individually and consider them based on their own evidence. 

I am not a big fan of the concept of God as "the God of the gaps", meaning that which science can't explain is what is attributed to God.  It ignores the possibility that there is a God and that not all things attributed to him are actually accountable to him.  It also creates a false dichotomy, meaning that what is explainable by science cannot be God-caused and vice versa.  So far as I know, there is no basis for this mutual exclusivity.  So, I think it's worth considering the various issues separately: Is there a God, what is the source of the universe's matter and energy, and finally, if there is a God can things God has done be explained by science?  That should be enough to keep you busy for several lifetimes. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf wrote:

I am not a big fan of the concept of God as "the God of the gaps", meaning that which science can't explain is what is attributed to God.

Beautifully put.  Like I said before, I've never understood people of purported faith spending time looking for "proof" of God.  The proof isn't going to be in the science of the world, it's going to be in the beauty of the world.  And that's something you just have to open up your eyes to see.

Yeah I'm on Zurf's side.

If you look at the results that science gives us how can you not believe there is a God.

I have heard it explained this way, regarding the big bang:

If you took just the parts of a intricate watch and put them in a box, loose by themselves, shook the box, opened it up and found a complete watch, that is how the big bang is said to have happened. We came from dust and particles right? Those are the watch parts. The bang itself is the shake of the box. And here we are? Mind you, it's not just parts being combined. It's everything working together in perfect harmony. So if you think of all the things that are symbiotic on Earth how can you not believe in God? Mind boggling really.

On a side note, Darwin was afraid of Peacocks because of the "eye" on their feathers. Why you ask? Because in his genius of figuring out evolution he could not explain the human eye. The eye is simply amazing. I don't believe something like that can come from dirt.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

"The watchmaker" is a poor analogy, I think.   It originated with William Paley before Darwin ever wrote "Origin of Species," but I think it's biggest failing is that it is also trying to "prove" something.   Richard Dawkins wrote a marvelous book based on the idea called "The Blind Watchmaker."  In it, he covers the evolution of the eye.

Dawkins' refutation has recently been refuted with what more has been learned of the mechanisms of cells - with emphasis on the term mechanisms.  It is a never-ending cycle to try to use science to prove God or refute him.  That is why I suggest to address the questions individually. 

Phill's question remains regardless.  Whence did the first "thing" come, and if it comes from God, then whence came he?  It is a question that has been asked for millenia and there is still no good answer for it. 

- Zurf

Wow, deep. Zurf you said about ten different things I should use as my siggy. All of this bugged me like nuts for a long time, because, honestly, most Christians have sorry answers for these questions. I was raised in Church and thought I knew all there was to know about the Bible. Ha! Dead wrong. Lots more.
I recommend you look up http://www.answersingenesis.org/. Don't agree with them %100, but they've got a lot of good stuff. Dig around, and have fun!
Hope you find answers Phil. smile

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Thanks Auxi for the recommendation.  I enjoy Bible study.  It is done rather poorly by a number of contemporaries, as I presume has long been the case but that the poor stuff has just not been as easily published as is now possible with the internet.  However, the same can probably be said of many very well done studies that couldn't find a magazine or journal to take on the controversy.  I'm sure I'll enjoy perusing Answers in Genesis. 

- Zurf

Bravo!  I've seen very few forums that could discuss these issues civilly smile

I'm not really going to join in but will say that I was raised in church and to believe in god... Even went to private christian schools... I love to study religion & spend loads of time researching it's past. That said, I do not believe in any God. Not even a little bit.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Bravo!  I've seen very few forums that could discuss these issues civilly smile

I'm not really going to join in but will say that I was raised in church and to believe in god... Even went to private christian schools... I love to study religion & spend loads of time researching it's past. That said, I do not believe in any God. Not even a little bit.

Oh, sorry to hear that, Pix, but it's your decision. smile
I agree it is very sad that few people can discuss religion (and politics, for that matter) without blowing... Pitiful. I guess that just proves yet again that we're a very talented and special forum. wink

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

P.S. Zurf, you'll love AiG. I think anybody that loves studies would love it. Got their magazine for a year and really enjoyed it. I think it's online for free through their site.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

I`m a non-believer myself.But to quote the great Linus Van Pelt. "There are 3 things you don`t talk about,politics,religon and the great pumpkin".

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

AiG is really not very scientific. As Zurf pointed out, they tend to reduce god to the "god of the gaps", spend their efforts attempting to refute the ToE, and, apart from the assertion that goddidit, ignore the overwhelming evidence in Geology, Biology, Cosmology, genetics and so on supporting the ToE.
Science does not attempt to answer metaphysical questions, simply because science works on the premise that results must be verifiable, or, rather, refutable. If the refutation of a scientific theory is not verifiable by observation, then the theory gains credibility. This is the case with the ToE, to the point that it is simply accepted as "the way things are".
As to the original question, "original cause", as someone pointed out, is not entirely relevant to science. The "big bang" is the first observable event in our current universe, started with the previously mentioned singularity.
As to the existence or non-existence of God, the question is really not relevant to scientific research, nor should it be. The original concept of God emerged as an explanation for the unexplainable, as soon as humans glanced at the night sky and wondered what the heck was there and where it came from. The point is, God is neither proveable or disprovable, as a concept, unless, of course, God made him/herself manifest physically.
Personally, I am very agnostic, abhor organized religion and yet, I can wander in the temples of  the wilderness and marvel at the beauty of its complexity and simultaneous simplicity. If there is a god, it can be sought for in those places untrammeled by man.
Religious dogma gets in the way, for me. I mean, there are over 25000 Christian denominations in the U.S. alone, and that is a drop in the bucket compared to the gods and religions that have flourished, then faded, in the course of human history. These religions all claim to have it right, but, if so, how could one tell which one was the right one? This is why the old "Pascal's Wager" is so fundamentally wrong a concept. Believe and be saved or don't believe and go to eternal damnation. What if you chose the wrong god? Worship the God of Abraham, and you may really piss of Zeus or Quetzlcoatl, or any of a panorama of diety from the history of mankind.
Ah, I've spouted off enough.
Happy 2012, all.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

My slant on the existent of  the God thing….
The concept of a God maker and originator of all things exists only in the mind of humans. So God it can be argued came from the consciousness or self awareness of the man. Whether God existed before man is in my view unanswerable and is down to ones personal belief. This view could also be construed as the chicken and the egg syndrome which has no answer.
Animals have no self awareness so have no concept of a God so God doesn't exist in their view of the world.
I think the key lies in the human mind and it's development. All through it’s development man has mostly needed a spiritual crutch and that has been called God..
God bridges the gaps for a while in human understanding until answers are found to the questions asked.
But crucially for the spiritual well being of man God can be there for mental support in times of need and ultimately to giving credence to existence of an after life.
Fundamentally it seems God made man…
And man made God.
The answer to what was there before the big bang singularity thingy. Well to me there was never a before only an after…

Another way of looking at that Arkady is to recognize that throughout man's history, he appears to have had a spiritual nature, which can also be expressed by saying he has a need for worship.  What are the possible explanations for that, and what evidence or tests can we use to either eliminate consideration of some of those explanations or conversely to support and give cause to further consider other of those possibilities? 

The evidence we see, and the explanations we give must coincide.  To me, I don't think there is any evidence to show that man created God when the need for worship seems to be near universal across history, pre-history, and cultures.  That need derives from somewhere.  Is that evidence for God?  Perhaps or perhaps not.  One explanation could be that if God created man as creatures that worship, the explanation would surely fit.  There are other possible explanations too.  However, to say that man created God in the same paragraph as recognizing that worship has been almost universal, we must have some explanation to fit the observation (universality of worship) to declaration (man created God).

I believe in god,but I do not attend church. on the humor side this was said by alan alda on one of the M.A.S.H. episodes in the seventies.  "I am an athiest, I sware to God I am."

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Zurf wrote:

Another way of looking at that Arkady is to recognize that throughout man's history, he appears to have had a spiritual nature, which can also be expressed by saying he has a need for worship.  What are the possible explanations for that, and what evidence or tests can we use to either eliminate consideration of some of those explanations or conversely to support and give cause to further consider other of those possibilities? 

The evidence we see, and the explanations we give must coincide.  To me, I don't think there is any evidence to show that man created God when the need for worship seems to be near universal across history, pre-history, and cultures.  That need derives from somewhere.  Is that evidence for God?  Perhaps or perhaps not.  One explanation could be that if God created man as creatures that worship, the explanation would surely fit.  There are other possible explanations too.  However, to say that man created God in the same paragraph as recognizing that worship has been almost universal, we must have some explanation to fit the observation (universality of worship) to declaration (man created God).

The universality of worship has not necessarily been universal, but early in man's evolution, once our brains developed the reasoning skills necessary for survival, that large brain must have been working on the solutions the questions of life, death and the whys, while developing tools and survival strategies.
One of those survival strategies, for humans, was to band together for mutual protection. These bands lived mostly in isolation from other bands of humans, which meant that outsiders from other bands were often avoided, another survival technique. The unkown was dangerous.
With the questions that arose from the expansion of human capacity for reasoning, it would have been quite natural for humans to explain the unexplainable with the concept of a god, or gods.
Early "religions" were naturalistic, ie, nature itself was god, and humans attributed nature with supernatural existence, because the processes of nature were not understood, in the sense that science, as we know it today, was non-existent. Life was too harsh and dangerous to spend time with science.
Today, in isolated regions, like the rain forests of New Guinea or Amazonia, this is exactly what we find, particularly where population growth is fairly static.
Once humanity expanded its populations, and larger communities developed, humans had more time to devote to the metaphysical. Evidence for this is in the emergence of Mesopotamian, Egyptian, and the Meso-American cultures. Each had unique religions and gods, developed in isolation from each other, with distinct moral codes and beliefs.
These larger communities, though, maintained their "tribal" nature, based on their cultural, agricultural and economic development, still in isolation from each other.
As populations grew, cultures merged and absorbed earlier "religions", until the present day, where there are very few non-monotheistic culturres left. Some, like Bhuddists, don't even require a god, per se.
As man evolved, so did religion and religious beliefs and customs, as they are still evolving today. A Christian from the 1600's, transplanted to today, would barely recognize the religion practiced today, if at all.
In a sense, man did come up with the concept of god, in order to explain that for which, at that time, was not readily explainable, and the placation of capricious nature gods required some form of worship or sacrifice or ritual, and this, I think, is the universal "worship" to which you refer.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

I do believe that when Jesus was saying, Come to the kingdom of God, what he was actually saying  was the kingdom of God exists in each of our minds, which is to say, that each of us has the ability to direct our own lives and the outcome is largely up to us.  We should not allow any religious group to sway our thinking, because as stated above, Each of the thousands of religious groups have a different slant on what is right and what is wrong.  And some groups even go so far as to dictate our direction in life and how we should live it. If we can't individually decide what is right and what is wrong, then we are weak minded people.  Our brains are a vey powerful tool and we should use them as such.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

whitewater55 wrote:
Zurf wrote:

The universality of worship has not necessarily been universal, but early in man's evolution, once our brains developed the reasoning skills necessary for survival, that large brain must have been working on the solutions the questions of life, death and the whys, while developing tools and survival strategies.

One of those survival strategies, for humans, was to band together for mutual protection. These bands lived mostly in isolation from other bands of humans, which meant that outsiders from other bands were often avoided, another survival technique. The unkown was dangerous.

This is fundamentally it.  Belief is God is a natural outcome of a reasoning, evolving mind.  Early cave dwellers struggled to explain things like lightning, eclipses, and the changing of the seasons.  As our ability to reason evolved we were able to explain these things as natural phenomena.

It is also inaccurate to say that Dawkin's theory has been "refuted."   Blind Watchmaker was written in 1986, and evolutionary biology has had 30 years between then and now to refine itself, add new data, and come up with new theories to account for it.  Natural selection is still the dominant theory of what drives change in species.    That is what science is supposed to do.  The prolog in the '96 edition discusses this to a degree.