Topic: Classic guitar valuation

I know a guy wanting to put an Epiphone Broadway in what sounds like mint condition onto the market.  No scratches to the finish even based on the description I've been given by a reliable observer.  The guy who looked it over is a gun guy, not a guitar guy, but a careful and observant eye is a careful and observant eye.  It's a blonde/natural finish.  The serial number is E251N A-2480.  That may be model and serial.  They're the numbers he gave me.  It is an original owner (the retired guy who is selling it was given the guitar by his mother when he was a teen).  It's a 1959.  It is marked as an Epiphone by Gibson, so it was built at some point after the Gibson buy-out of Epiphone.  I haven't inspected it personally, so I don't know whether it's got the original Epiphone New York pickups and/or neck.  I'm going to try to get the chance to play it before he sells it.  Wouldn't it be nice if he had a Gibson tube amp sitting around too? 

Any ideas of where I could direct him to set an appropriate price for this guitar? 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Classic guitar valuation

'59 Century Epi's are running about $2K right now.  Don't know if the Broadways would fetch more or less.  He should have it looked at by a guitar guy, regardless.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I saw one on E-Bay at $3950, but that doesn't mean much more than me typing it here does.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

how about the vintage guitar price guide.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

That'd be great.  Where do I get one?  Would a well-stocked library be likely to have one? 

- Zurf

It's a magazine - I'd imagine a good library would have one. You can buy one for $30

http://www.vintageguitar.com/price-guide/

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

7 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-12-22 01:53:44)

Sure it's a '59?

I'm seeing the serial number as A-2480...  E251N would be the model # I believe.

Gibson used the A prefix numbers from 47-61 and # 2480 would put it in the range for a '48.

'59 would be between 28880-32284       '48 was 1305-2665 #'s   

But then you say it says epiphone by Gibson and they didn't merge till '57....    Hmmmmm

another oddity, if it was from 58-69 the model would be E252 for an electric broadway....

Several things aren't adding up and I'm betting it's older than 58 and pre-merger....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Yep.  It's a '59.  The model is E251N and serial number is A-2480.  I found an Epiphone serial number decoder.  When I put that information in, it popped out that it's a blonde 1959 built at the Gibson plant in Kalamazoo, MI. 

The main questions now are whether the neck and pickups are original Epiphone (called "New York" components) or whether they are Gibson.  For that, I'll have to look at the guitar.  The Epiphone necks are a V-shape.  The pickups are single coils.  The Gibson necks are fat and the pickups are humbucking.  I don't know if that matters for value. 

That's as much as I've been able to learn today researching it. 

I'll check out the library tomorrow for that magazine. 

- Zurf

Barnes and noble sells them.They are not cheap

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.