1 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-10-23 01:32:13)

Topic: Is there anything sadder than this.

Is there any sight sadder than a fine guitar in the hands of a non player.Hear me out.A friend of mine`s father passed away a few years ago.among some of his belongings he ended up with were a camper,a boat,a FENDER AMP( I don`t remember which model but it was big and old) and A GIBSON LES PAUL. That`s right he was left a boat. Seriously,he was left the Les Paul and the Fender amp.He doesnt play and has no intention of learning.Yet he has these two fine vintage pieces doing nothing.I personally have no desire to get a les paul but his should be in the hands of someone who can appreciate what it is. I understand sentimental value and that but this is a waste.Only another player can understand my point of view.Almost when you see the rolling rock telecaster on display in a liquor store.It may be a squier but it is still something that should be played. Who`s with me

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: Is there anything sadder than this.

Guitars that aren't played cease to be guitars and become wall art.  It is akin to a painter hanging his brushes rather than his work.  When you visit Casa de O'Neil, the standard response to "do you mind if I play that" is "please!"

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Well said Jerome.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I agree. Maybe try to talk him onto selling it. Tell him the story you just told us.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of luck trying to get him to sell. Years ago a friend of mine had an old knucklehead Harley that had belonged to his dad. He didn't ride and had no intention of ever riding it but he wouldn't consider ever selling it. The fact that it was his dad's and the memories associated with it simply made it worth far more than money. He still has the bike,it sits in his basement slowly rusting away. So maybe you can get him to sell, if not now maybe in 6 months or a year. All you can do is try.

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

I really have no desire to own a les paul.They weigh a half ton and are painful without a good strap.My point is that somebody does want one and would appreciate it and give it the treatment it deserves.Also,this friend never had anything good to say about his father.Theyre are people that would love to buy those.It`s just a shame they are sitting doing nothing in the hands of a non player.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

That is a shame,I hope he comes around and decides too sell them,chew on his ear for awile and also ask him what he would like too buy,then tell him too sell and maybe buy.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

My Father was a very good golfer. Before he died, he gave me an old putter which I still have and use to this day. A stranger at a golf course offered me $300 for this putter several years ago - I declined. I only play golf a couple of times a year at best, the rest of the time, the club is collecting dust in my garage or the trunk of my car. I don't think I'd take $1,000 for this piece of steel, hickory and leather - one day, it will pass to my kids.

My point is, the value is not lost without it being played, indeed, the value is likely greater for the son than it would be for a buyer. Who knows, maybe your friend's kid or grandkid will discover that guitar one day and be the next Stevie Ray.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Jerome nailed it.  If your not playing it, what is its purpose?

Now available in 5G !

topdown wrote:

My Father was a very good golfer. Before he died, he gave me an old putter which I still have and use to this day. A stranger at a golf course offered me $300 for this putter several years ago - I declined. I only play golf a couple of times a year at best, the rest of the time, the club is collecting dust in my garage or the trunk of my car. I don't think I'd take $1,000 for this piece of steel, hickory and leather - one day, it will pass to my kids.

My point is, the value is not lost without it being played, indeed, the value is likely greater for the son than it would be for a buyer. Who knows, maybe your friend's kid or grandkid will discover that guitar one day and be the next Stevie Ray.

You said you used it a couple times a year.You do use it.This gets no use at all.Not all my guitars get used regularly but I do use them.He also has no kids and never will.If he learned to play it would be different but he has a differemt outlet.None of them involves a camper,boat or guitars.Not a bad thing.Just the way it is

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I totally see your point CJ. BUT... there are lots of less fortunate people out there that can never have luxuries, i.e. a guitar. Somewhere out there is a young kid with the talent to be the next Hendrix and change music forever. Without opportunity he will never realize this talent. So a guitar that hangs on the wall because of sentimental reasons is depriving someone of a gift that could impact thousands of people. Yes I know this little story is an extreme case but I see the betterment of people over a person. Even if this guitar was given to just a random person that learns to play it. While not changing the world I'm 100% positive it would affect more than just that person.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to have a Gibson Les Paul, but I have to side with cj-5 on this issue. I totally understand sentimental value, having lost loved ones myself.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

I feel your pain. I have a friend who's wife found a red Strat copy at a garage sale. She bought it for him for 50 bucks. It sits on his stand, gathering dust, in the same condition in which she bought it: Missing one string, untuned and dusty. I want an electric and offered to buy it from him. He has never gotten back to me about it and I don't want to nag but every time I pass his house. or go there, I think of that guitar....Just sitting there....Doing nothing but acting as a dust catcher.

He probably ought to go camping near a lake, then play the guitar on the boat. 

It's his.  Whatever anyone else thinks he ought to do with it is for naught.  He will do as he pleases.  This is a good thing.  We cannot expect to be respected in our own decisions unless we are willing to respect others in theirs, even without understanding.  The guitar is harming no one, nor the camper, nor the boat.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude