Topic: Savannah Resonator?

Anyone have any experience or opinions on this brand and style guitar? 

I know that a slide is far above my ability at the moment, but I'm interested in a steel string, I love the sounds of country/blues and well, they're pretty gosh darn neat looking.  On top of that, there's a used one near me in "excellent condition" says the guitar shop for $125 ... and well... it's Mother's Day weekend and my hubby usually grabs me some diamond earrings, I think I'd rather get a new guitar!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Re: Savannah Resonator?

They also have a Takamini for $100 ... I think that is an electro/acoustic.  I know I need to go try these out before considering further, just wondering what anyone thinks or has experience with.  Thanks!

I don't know much about either, but I think you should get them both.  Good luck.  Sounds like a bargain on the resonator.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

whoops, should have put this in the guitars/accessories forum... sad Sorry! 

Ha ha Pete... I don't know about both, and maybe not even either of them.  I might get there and hate them both!  big_smile  I can be finicky like that.

I look at pictures of those resonators all the time and have been eyeballing this one on their site of used gear for a while.  All the used gear is on sale this weekend sooo.... thought maybe someone would have an opinion on these.  I looked through the forums and see a few of the guys on here have resonators but I can't find out much about this brand online on my own sad

There's one thing better then a new guitar. That's TWO guitars!!!

Amy - The first guitar I purchased (after borrowing my step-daughters beginner Yamaha) is a Takamine EF series.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2294/2355938158_7ce7b179ab.jpg

A fantastic sounding and playing guitar by all accounts - the improved action was vital in my finally nailing barre chords (yes, even the evil B). Of course, my advice is to play before you pay, but Taks have a great reputation for sound and durability. If you watch the CMA's, you'll see a ton of country stars playing Taks. (not that that means anything).

These days I've been leaving my primary CA guitar at my cottage in SC where I stay during the work week and have really enjoyed playing my other guits when I come home on the weekend. The Tak gets a ton of playing time recently and I'm sorry that I have neglected her. ( Judging by the way she sings, I do believe I have been forgiven. smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hey Amy, Don't know much about the resonator but The Takamini (If you spelled it right wink ) Is a travel sized acoustic electric. Short scale with close (used loosely) to a parlor size body but with more of a dread shape. Surprisingly good tone comes from it and it's a breeze to play. The electronics are basic but not cheap and work very well. Solid cedar top with lam. mahogany back and sides, 1 11/16 neck with a nice profile between a C and D shape...  Here's a pic of my mini
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2313/1793852920_1418dd27ce.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Amy,

My first good guitar was a Takamine and it really doesn't matter if you have a high end one or an entry level one, they all sound great plugged. You will see lots of  musicians playing them , they kind of set the standard for years because of the great electronics in them. My daughter has a small bodied cutaway that is pretty quiet , but plug it in and it is really good.

I believe most resonators are set up to play like a six string guitar and dobro's are setup to use a slide. Resonators can be loud and really like precise pickers playing them to sound good. I think you would get alot more use out of the Takamine. Please don't take it the wrong way please .

I play with 2 different players that play resonators , one guy sounds great and is one of the best players in this part of the country, the other guy is an average guitar player and sounds much better on his guitar than the resonator.

This is just my 2 cents worth ,

Later, Wayne P

wlbaye wrote:

Amy,

My first good guitar was a Takamine and it really doesn't matter if you have a high end one or an entry level one, they all sound great plugged. You will see lots of  musicians playing them , they kind of set the standard for years because of the great electronics in them. My daughter has a small bodied cutaway that is pretty quiet , but plug it in and it is really good.

I believe most resonators are set up to play like a six string guitar and dobro's are setup to use a slide. Resonators can be loud and really like precise pickers playing them to sound good. I think you would get alot more use out of the Takamine. Please don't take it the wrong way please .

I play with 2 different players that play resonators , one guy sounds great and is one of the best players in this part of the country, the other guy is an average guitar player and sounds much better on his guitar than the resonator.

This is just my 2 cents worth ,

+1 I'm with Wayne. I own both a Takamine and a Resonator. The resonators action is high by design. It's really for sliding. I've just picked it and it's not that bad but if I could only have 1 or 2 guitars one would not be a resonator. In my head it's a specialized guitar....JMHO

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thank you very much for your input guys!  I have a feeling that once I pick these up, I'll find that the resonator is going to be too big for me anyhow.  Being so used to my 3/4 classical and nylon strings I may have a hard time adjusting to the body, sound, and action on it as well.  I know I've got a way to go before I come close to being able to pick REALLY WELL so your 2 cents Wayne and Geo are very well taken!

Pix... yep that's it!  The picture looks the same as theirs (although yours looks more loved).  They have it spelled out Takamine Taka Mini and have miscatagorized it online into their "solid body electric guitars".  I did pick up an Ibanez Parlor sized A/E at one point and really loved the feel of the size, action, etc... so maybe the Takamine will be just what the doctor ordered.  I guess it's time to find a babysitter and go sit and play at the store for a bit!

Jeff - That's a mighty purty guitar... take good care of her!

Good to know that Takamine is considered a good brand, even their lower end models... the fact that you guys have the brand tells me that it's absolutely worth considering a little more than I had before.

Hey Mekids,
I have a Rogue resonator that I am very fond of.  It provides some completely different sounds and I've set it up to play both fingerstyle and slide (just a minor truss rod adjustment).  I tune it in open G (DGDGBD) and of course had to learn some new chord patterns as well as how to use a slide.  The chords come fairly easy,  the slide, not so much.  In any event, if you have a favourite key that you like to sing in, there's a tuning that will get you there and many resources on line to give you the fingering for the chords.  Retuning your guitar to an open tuning will open up a new world and provide you with an entirely different sounding instrument and it doesn't need to be a resonator to do it.  That's a big plus. In the end you might realize that open tunings are actually easier to play as there are no bizarre finger twisting Spanish Inquisition inspired B or F chords.  Most chords are of the simple 1, 2 or 3 finger variety.  There are 3 tunings that you can use right now without changing your string gages. Try open E, D and G.  Check them out, you might find them interesting.

Now available in 5G !