Topic: Adding pickup to acoustic

Have just got a new (secondhand) Norman ST68 acoustic, & I love the sound of it. Would like to add a pickup, but want to keep the sound as "acoustic" as possible, so I think I am looking for a piezo-type device? So, I would appreciate any advice or recommendations on makes or models of pickups. I don't mind fitting one of the under saddle types, if these are generally considered better!
Cheers!
Photos of new (s/h) guitar to follow!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

2 (edited by wlbaye 2010-02-03 13:59:43)

Re: Adding pickup to acoustic

Norm,

I have added pickups to a couple of my guitars and if you follow the instructions they are pretty straight forward. I put a L.R Baggs I-Beam in my Martin and I am not happy with it and am gonna change it out to either another B-Band A-2 or a Fishman Ellipse Matrix.

I installed a B-band A-2 in my Epiphone and it is really nice and it has a preamp inside the guitar and it also has 2 transducers one under saddle and one under the bridge. It is clear and crisp.

The Fishman and the B-Band are both about $200 and there are alot cheaper ones that maybe good also.

The reason I don't like the LR Baggs I-beam I have in my Martin is, it doesn't have a preamp and I had to purchase a LR Baggs Paracoustic DI box which is a preamp to be able to get it to sound good.

The LR Baggs I-beam is about a $100 pickup and the Paracoustic is about $220 so I ended up spending alot and it still isn't the best. Another down side to this is carrying along two guitar chords for the in and out of the box and just another gadjet to have to drag along.

Alot depends on the guitar also whether it is Mahogany, Rosewood, Cedar as to what works the best. I would check out user reviews on what you are lookin at.

It really depends on your playing style as to what pickup may be your best bet . Whether your a hard strummer, flatpicker or a softer finger picker.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wayne, guess I need to do a bit of research. Any more ideas would be gratefully received...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I have the AER AK 15 Dual source http://www.ellisguitars.com/AER_Pickups.html in my S&P Showcase and it is very natural sounding. You can choose to run it only through the mic or the USP (undersaddle pickup) or any combination of the two. All controls are tucked neatly just inside the soundhole. Pricey but Very Highly recommended!!
I've installed K&K Pure Western mini's on 2 of my Yairis and they have a very natural tone as well. http://www.kksound.com/purewestern.html It's a passive system using three pick ups placed under the bridge plate. There is no battery or electronics involved but they run hot enough for just plug and play. A pre-amp is preferred but not really necessary. I'd also highly recommend these! Great acoustic tone when plugged in... They're easy to install and fairly affordable at just under $100.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have a "Schaller Western I". It sort of clamps in the sound hole and works like a charm. Details can be found at http://schaller-guitarparts.de/hp7727/Western-I.htm The good thing is, you can remove it in no time and it has a really great sound. The only bad things are that the cable comes out of the sound hole too (Duct-Tape helps a lot...) and that it can fall out if you give the poor piece of wood too bad a beating. I have it in my Sigma Western-guitar now and it's great.

I have one of these installed in my 1982 Ovation balladeer.  It's the fourth pick up system I've used in this guitar and I'm pretty sure it will be the last.

http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=86

It's an undersaddle piezo and a condensor mic inside the body.  The only real trick with installing this system in not knowing if it will clear the braces inside the body.  I had to trim one of my braces to make it fit.  If you have Martin style braces, you should have no problems with the installation.

Now available in 5G !