1 (edited by Chordiehelper123 2010-01-10 10:21:01)

Topic: Easy Strumming Patterns For Learners

As we all know, Strumming, is a hard thing to master - but a few simple exercises and techniques to help people through, i thought, would be an excellent topic.

When People Talk about exercises on the guitar they tend to shy away / come off that site quickly beacuse they want to learn fast complex things when they have only picked up a guitar, but let me give you a chunk of advice - NEVER EVER STOP PRACTICING! , this is a soul thing when playing on any instrument, ask any pro; they will all agree.

Anyway, back to my subject, Strumming Patterns - love them hate them, gotta' learn them

Here are a few that have helped me (letters in brackets are represented chords)

(G)                                       (D)               
1)                DOWN, DOWN,  UP DOWN UP DOWN DOWN,   

(E)         (G)         (D)            (A)   
2)                DOWN,  DOWN,   DOWN UP    DOWN DOWN

(D)                       
3)                DOWN UP DOWN DOWN UP DOWN

(C)
4)                UP DOWN UP UP DOWN UP

(D)                (A)       (E)
5)               DOWN DOWN UP UP DOWN UP

Big thankyou to Pix (moderator) For No. 5 on the list it has helped me alot,

Hope this helps all chordie viewers like it helped me!

All the best,
                           chordiehelper123  =p

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p

Re: Easy Strumming Patterns For Learners

Thanks! I have a problem with strumming. I'll start a song and it's going pretty good.Then I come to a place where what I'm doing doesn't fit.
I'll try to give an example later. Got to get ready for Church. Thanks again for the patterns.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I'd have to add the DDUUDU pattern! It's (IMO) the most usefull and will fit most songs well...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I am with you on this on Pix,

It seems for me and folks I have helped once you get that old folk feel down  DDUUDU of this pattern. You seem to improvise and make a variation of it work on many, many songs. I worked with my niece the other day and she come for help with her strumming. We struummed this pattern for an hour together and she left feeling very good about herself smile

Later, Wayne P

Hi all!!!!!

Check out this vid. It goes over strumming pattterns and is easy to follow.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid … 482366891#

Keep rockin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Guitarpix wrote:

I'd have to add the DDUUDU pattern! It's (IMO) the most usefull and will fit most songs well...

I have to second that Pix.  DDUUDU fits a lot of songs for me as well.
Steve

Strumming is definitely harder when you think too much about it.

8 (edited by davidwd 2009-12-19 13:47:12)

well thats what is getting  me the strumming patterns, are they the same on most songs. is there something in the song i need to be listiing catch it  to help me . i used to have such a good ear.  should have keep playing when i was young.  as i kick myself in the rear lol

Most times, just pound it out along with the song.
Keep a rhythm along with that goes with what the drummer and bass player are doing in the recording.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Here's a few with audio that may be helpful for beginners... http://www.scenicnewengland.net/guitar/ … umming.htm

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

ooo Just the sort of exercise i been looking for. thank you Choriehelper123

Thankyou all for the comments and will be making new posts soon! Also I have Noted About the DDUUDU pattern i practiced his and helped my country playing alot. Have a great time,

chordiehelper123 =p

'The journey maybe long, but in the end, its only with your trusty guitars'
Chordiehelper123  =p

Very nice thread and welcome to Chordie - Chordiehelper123!  I appreciate the strumming patterns... something to practice!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.