Topic: What does that mean & how do I play it???

When browsing through the Chordie songbooks etc. i see some chords in songs that I don't understand. For ex. it will say ' Dsus5 '  What does that mean and how do I play it???
HELP
Johnny V.

Re: What does that mean & how do I play it???

hey johnny, check out www.looknohands.com/chordhouse   Shows you how to play tons of chords,alternative tunings,scales. just lots of stuff.plus it's also got audio so you can hear what it should sound like. hope this helps

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

A Dsus5 is a D suspended 5th the sus is short for suspended or a D chord with the 5th tone (A) sounded within the chord usually a sus 4th is more common (opening chord Hard days night) by the Beatles smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by Doug_Smith 2009-11-25 02:46:10)

Howdy Johnny,

Actually this would be best answered in the Theory section, but I'll take a shot at it.  As you may know, Chords are made up of three notes called Triads (usually, there are exceptions).  The Root Note (1), Third (3), and Fifth (5), normally with one semi-tone between them (the b or # flat or sharp).  To suspend, diminish, or augment any one of those notes changes the "tone" of the chord.
Adding the 7th note makes the chord a "seventh", flatting (diminishing) the 3rd makes the chord "minor" etc.  There are a few simple rules to learn and the rest should become clear as mud.  But first you should learn about chord building and where the notes reside on your fretboard to make it easier to finger any chord that you do not know from memorization.  I'm Sure that Jerome or Russell could offer some simple helpful hints in that direction over in the Theory department.  Now that I've thoroughly confused you.... LOL.  Yeah I'm still learning this stuff too, after 40 years!

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thanks alot "bswyers" That is just the type of site that I've been looking for!!!
Thanks Again
Johnny V.