1 (edited by donatifamily 2009-09-27 19:58:31)

Topic: Please suggest a song for a beginner to learn on electric

Daughter, grade 6 wants to try a song by using Chordie.  She has an electric.  Likes hip-hop, rap, pop, top 40.  Please suggest.  Thanks.
is hannah montana/miley cyrus phobic

doens't like taylor swift

Re: Please suggest a song for a beginner to learn on electric

Welcome to Chordie Donatifamily!

I'd be checking out the Public Books section for beginner tunes to start with.  There are a lot of three and four chord songs out there that would not be too difficult to master.  Electrics are a bit easier on the fingers for starting out, but lend themselves to power chording and other variations that don't sound as good on acoustic.  Volume and distortion hides a bunch of minor errors that allows one to gather up some "bad habits" that can be hard to break later if you find yourself playing acoustically.

The time to work on proper fingering and posture is day one!  learn everything correctly and you don't suffer the cramps, sore tendons, and other little things that can reduce your enjoyment of making music.  There is a lifetime of pleasure hiding in that chunk of wood and wire, so keep on playing.... it gets better and better!

Take Care and once again Welcome to Chordie!
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Purple Haze is probably where you want to go here.  Takes a little practice tho plus a big ole Marshall amp.  Good luck.

Now available in 5G !

4 (edited by dino48 2009-09-29 03:29:44)

you will find alot of easy songs in the public books section,checkit out. try too find songs that you know so you know the rythem and songs you enjoy hearing,stick to easy chords at first ( no  B or F chords ). look at some bob dylan,neil diamond,credence clearwater songs. sorry I do not know any current artists, in pop hip hop or rap. play and practrice hard it will brong alot of satisfaction in awile.    dino

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

lots of tunes here.   

http://www.kristinhall.org/songbook/Songbook.html

this was posted a while ago,  have fun

Badeye

one caper after another

I'd simply suggest a) a song that's actually performed with a guitar, b) a song she knows the lyrics by heart [otherwise that's an extra chore] and that she c) search for it on Chordie. No offense against rap or hip hop, but those are drum/rhythm centric genres that don't generally lend themselves to prominent chord progressions (at best, chords are 'implied' while basslines and melodies are more common).

Enter Sandman by Metallica was the first song I (Riff) i played on electric and pretty easy, to look up have fun

I think Wonderful Tonight - Eric Clapton would be a good place to start. It'll be a challenge at the start but it's fairly easy for a beginner. And plus if she can learn that she will be able to do full tone bends! Which is always a bonus!

Good Luck
Jason