Re: My One Secret To Better Guitar Playing Is........

I took care of the small kids problem by giving her her own guitar.  She won't let me teach her a chord, but she's finally picking it up and pointing the neck the correct direction most of the time now.  We went by a music store and there was a kid no older than her - around eight years old - laying out some sweet blues licks on an electric.  I told her that he was doing that by applying scales and I'd be happy to teach her the pentatonic blues scale (which I'd have to learn myself).  Nah.  She's content.  I'm not going to push.  She'll hear more kids who lay it out and either she'll get frustrated and put it away forever, or she'll want to improve.  Either way, I'm OK with it.  Plenty of time.  Plenty of time. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Sorry if this is too simple & obvious, but for the beginners out there - get an electronic tuner! I've always had trouble tuning by ear, so having an electronic tuner made a huge difference to me. Having the guitar always in tune made it much more pleasurable to play & encouraged me to practise more. I also found that I could jam along with CD's/radio/TV & hear the correst chords/key more easily.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Right on Norm!  tuning is first and foremost and I tune up before I play to myself or others. I don't tune very well or fast by ear either but I can darn sure tell if someone is out of tune. smile

Later, Wayne P

I like to throw on the radio and jam to stuff I don't really listen to. First I figure out the bass, then the rhythm guitar, then I try to improvise over it. It doesn't always work but I can usually figure out the key it's in.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

Pick a favourite song and learn it - then pick another...

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

Film yourself!!! It almost feels like you are playing to an audience and can be a bit nervvy.
You can see where you need to improve nad where you are ok
Helps me anyway.....also a bit of dedication helps

Strive for excellence, not perfection.

ivorbend wrote:

Film yourself!!! It almost feels like you are playing to an audience and can be a bit nervvy.
You can see where you need to improve nad where you are ok
Helps me anyway.....also a bit of dedication helps

I'll second that.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Wow, good idea, never thought of that