Topic: gettin on in years

I suppose some of us older folk experience some limitations of playing dexterity. I for one am one of those people
Im finding my left hand somewhat restricted and my index and middle finger running into each other. My wrist and barring has become more difficult.  I did have some carpel tunnel problems some time ago but much of that is gone. And I did break that wrist a few years ago. Im wondering if that is coming back to haunt me. Well my question is does anyone know of some thereputic exercises for the left hand and warm up techniques that might solve this?
Its scarey to be playing and your fingers go palsic and lock up until you shake them loose.

I thought ; If I had one idea,
and took it from beginning to end.
I would try another.

Re: gettin on in years

no exercise ideas here.
I was going to reply something witty and funny but couldnt think of anything that didnt sound too cheeky so instead I will reply wit hthis.

I would have thought even getting on in years you should be able to play OK. I know a few guys in their late 70's and early 80's that still play away without their fingers or hands getting sore.
Maybe this is a cause from your broken bones from years ago.
If I were you I would go to the docs and ask him.

But then other folkies here might have the same problem or maybe did have and they probably have a few answers.

C'mon folk, I want to read some answers here for when I get old.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I would recommend an appointment with an Occupational Therapist, especially one who understands the needs of musicians.  They specialize in fine motor skill dexterity and movement, especially post-trauma. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Marc I have the same problem with both hands I use a product that relieves the pain and stiffness its a gereric brand called Arthricream by Equate is compaired to Aspercream also another product tha brings relief quickly is Icy Hot but it has a menthol aroma but it works on anything from muscle cramps to aching tendons (which I have) the Arthricream has no smell and it works just as well give it a shot you'll be surprised smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Sports have sports medicine and you have Musicians medicine.  A whole new ball game.  Could be lucrative

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Tiger balm!!! thanks to my hippie wife.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

7 (edited by marcalan 2009-07-30 02:11:51)

Good Response ... Thanks Buds ...
Growing on together...indeed

I would try another.

selso wrote:

Tiger balm!!! thanks to my hippie wife.

That stuff burns!!!!! But it works!!! Smell is kind of strong...should be called Tiger's A**.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Is it a muscle or joint issue?

I take glucosamine for a day or two when my finger joints hurt.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

As a young man, I broke my thumb at the joint on my left hand and injured my wrist. About 10 years ago, I developed an incredible pain in my left wrist and especially in the thumb joint.

I don't have any pain now.

What I did was cut out all acidic foods, and especially diet sodas. The second thing that I did was to start taking Omega 3 and 9 fish oil, about 3000mg a day. The fish oil acts as a natural lubricant besides helping heart functions. I can still tell that the thumb has been broken, but I do not experience any pain or lack of motion as long as I don't go longer than about three days without my fish oil and stay off of the diet colas.

I took up guitar when I retired at 65. I play every day and enjoy it more each time I do. I'll be 68 in December.

Broke my wrist when I was ten Almost 40 years later I can tell when rain is about to come. I
use to crack my knuckles and after a few years got pain in my hands, I broke that habit and
Knock on wood no pain. I'm still waiting for Stavia hand cream to be developed, I bet it would work for sore painful hands and joints.

Badeye       cool

one caper after another

well I can tell , obviously im not alone. i remember Les Paul getting arthritis in his left hand and wound up playing beautifully with one finger...God hope we dont resort to that, but well see
Oh Im not that bad dont be confused
just disturbing when the the thought comes  we have to be thankful for our health, so stay healthy peeps...marcalan

I would try another.

Tiger balm, ummmm, administered orally or analy?

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

dont joke about tiger balm...it bites!

that's a disturbing thought....arthritis up the Khyber pass, or on the tonsils....euw!!!

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

bushy243 wrote:

What ever floats your boat, buddy.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I hear preperation H has a new addition its Jalepeno spiced for the sadist market lol

selso wrote:
bushy243 wrote:

What ever floats your boat, buddy.

I'm going to recommend neither but hey like Selso says...whatever floats the boat

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Russell_Harding wrote:

I hear preperation H has a new addition its Jalepeno spiced for the sadist market lol

Russel you crack me up..  lol lol

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

19 (edited by marcalan 2009-08-02 13:06:34)

How quickley a simple request deteriorates. Its like sitting in a circle and someone starts a whisper around the room. Thanks for your advise but I think Ill do hand stretches

I would try another.

Marc Icy Hot pain cream WILL take away the pain I know because I have the same problem give it a try trust me smile

21 (edited by marcalan 2009-08-03 01:42:38)

Ok my friends
it was never my intension to say I have pain...I do not..my question was about loosing dexterity
the function of movement caused by carpel tunnel... my fingers lockup not with pain but disfunction. Now Im doing some exercises that seem to relieve this
i have been a wood worker all my life and my left hand has been my vice in terms of grip
so now heres where i land
I probably grip the the guitar way too hard but have to retrain my self to not too do so, thanks too you all for coming up and saying.... and Ken; cheek is always appropriate .. Im divorced twice.. Ya cant hurt me.....Slantche'

I would try another.

After enough pain you're left with one alternative.Surgery.But how I have noticed  the years go by when I see Alan Jackson doing a song(trying to do)recently that I was playing 35 years ago.I realize he is not worthy to play a song like that especially when he's not even playing the chords it takes to bring the song to life.The guy who wrote the original taught it to me in F.

P.S.the song is       "song of life"

not worthy?? how many hits have you had in all the years you've been playing?

rick15568 wrote:

I have noticed  the years go by when I see Alan Jackson doing a song(trying to do)recently that I was playing 35 years ago.I realize he is not worthy to play a song like that

Where are we going with this????? Thanks Russel your help is well noted as for th other bonhomme Im not sure..Ill drop this here..Lets change the subject ?
How about those journalists coming home... Praise be.

I would try another.