Topic: Building own Speaker Cab

As a broke guitarist in need of more power, my summer project is an open back 4X12 cab. I want to buy amp head with about 100watts to go with it. I realized the main problem with my plan is speaker selection.

Ohms? Watts? Sensitivity? Does anyone know of a straightforward article that explains the specs on a speaker and how they should match up on my amp? hmm

Other websites and forums I've visited send mixed messages about everything. One guy (or girl) says amp watts have to be higher than the speakers rating. Another person says the amp needs lower wattage. I even found a post saying watts don't matter at all and ohms are the only important thing. All these post sound like a friend I have who "Knows-it-all" about speakers, LOL. lol

Anyways, if anyone can shed some light on my dilemma it would be greatly appreciated.

Yamaha Pacifica (Strat Copy)
Roland Cube 20watt
Digitech RP500

Re: Building own Speaker Cab

I have no idea myself.... Did a quick search and came across this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/ … _amps.html Maybe it'll help.. -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

That will be a fun project! I built a 2x12" cab a couple years ago using Carvin speakers and plywood.

If you are using 4 12's, I don't think you'll need to worry about the head putting out too many watts for the speakers.

As for the ohms, you will need to make sure that the speaker cab has the correct number of ohms that the amp is designed for. You should be able to find the ohms that the amp is designed for next to the speaker output on the amp. To make your cab have the correct resistance, you will need to wire the speakers such that they will have the correct resistance. Do some reading about resistors in series and parallel to better understand how to properly wire your cab.

Electric:  Schecter C-1, Hot-rodded strat
Acoustic: Ovation Celebrity Deluxe, Epiphone

Keep on rockin' in the free world!

Ok thanks for the help, the link was great!

One more question... Do I add up the wattage on the speakers for the total wattage? Or do the wattages on the individual speakers have to be high enough?

Yamaha Pacifica (Strat Copy)
Roland Cube 20watt
Digitech RP500