Topic: Why do I keep breaking my B string

I play 1 Strat, 2 Teles, and one Blues Boy.  No matter which guitar I play . . . I seem to always be breaking my B string.  All guitars are strung with 9's, so the B string would be an 11.  I play mostly finger style or travis picking.  The break is usually at the saddle.  Any ideas why the B is always failing? or suggestions for prevention?

Re: Why do I keep breaking my B string

Hi Royce,
The first and easiset step would be to apply a touch of pencil lead between your strings and saddle. This creates a smoother gliding surface thus reducing friction that sometimes leads to snagging, which leads to string breaking. If this doesn't do the trick( resolve your problem) then the problem most likely is too deep of a string groove in your saddle. This problem is beyond my area of expertise......

Give everything but up.

Re: Why do I keep breaking my B string

I always use a tiny bit of MFR lube or graphite there when I change strings.  I've checked all the saddles for rough spots. (you wouldn't think 4 different guitars would all have a rough B string saddle)  One Tele and the Blues Boy have barrel saddles, while the Strat and other Tele have more modern type of saddles.  Maybe is has something to do with my plucking?, But I've never broke a high E string . . .