Topic: any fisherfolk out there?

Hi all - have noticed from reading other posts that there are more than a few references to fish and fishing, so how about a new thread on your favourite fishing spots/types of fishing/tall tales?
I live in East Sussex between Hastings and Rye & have a beautiful reservoir not far away called Powdermill - have had some great days there, fly fishing for trout. If any fisherfolk are in the area, or passing through I would be happy to show them around, learners most welcome. Warning, though, fly fishing can be very addictive!
Cheers,
Paul.

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Re: any fisherfolk out there?

Hey Norm ,
   Yeah , years ago , I was crazy for fishing .. I had my boat on the lake every weekend .. Most of the time , it was just me and my girl ( german shepard ) .. We loved it .. Only problem was , she liked being in the water more than being in the boat , and have you ever tried getting a hundred pound dog back in the boat in the middle of the lake ?? But I guess I liked being in the water too , because I started scuba diving about a dozen years ago , and now when I'm on the lake , I'm in it , L O L ....... So I guess I have more fun looking at them fish than trying to catch them , L O L .......
                    Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

3 (edited by Zurf 2009-03-17 22:29:58)

I'm a fisherman.  I live nearby the upper Potomac River, which is my normal spot for my favorite quarry of smallmouth bass.  My favorite "can get to it at least once a year" location is the New River in West Virginia.  My favorite kind of fishing is whatever I can do at the time, but I do surf fishing, small stream fly fishing for native trout, big river "full contact fishing" for smallmouth bass or trout from a kayak or raft in up to class 3 whitewater, paddle easy around a lake tossing lures to lily pads largemouth bass fishing, and sit on the bank soaking worms and sipping beer while passing the time conversing with a friend and wondering if there are actually any catfish in the region fishing.  You name it, I like it.  I'm not good at it.  But I like it. 

I live in northern Virginia, and we are blessed with outdoor opportunities.  Within a two hour drive I can be at famous freestone native trout streams like Yellow Breeches, the Potomac River (actually in fifteen minutes), the beautiful and rocky Shenandoah River which was just MADE for canoeing, the Chesapeake Bay, big, big, big river water of the tidal Potomac or the Susquehanna (which in parts is huge, wide and flat like the tidal Potomac and in other parts is like a karst limestone strong current river nearly a mile wide, essentially a Shenandoah River on steroids), little spring creeks in the Shenandoah and George Washington National Forests, great big impoundments like Lake Anna, and any of dozens of hundred to two hundred acre placid lakes.   If I want to go a little further for a weekend, I can get to the world-famous Delaware, open Atlantic beaches like Dewey or Atlantic City, MD (or NJ), or barrier island beaches like Assateague, MD or the Outer Banks of North Carolina.  The longest I'd have to spend in the car for any of this is five hours. 

Here's some pictures from a trout trip I took on the Colorado River headwaters in the summer of 2007.  Awesome day.  Probably my best ever day of fishing.  I broke my previous personal best trout record five times that day.  There's nothing like a big brown trout born and raised in a big, strong river.  I fought one on a fly rod while standing on the front of a cataraft that was going down a long class 2 rapid - laughing the whole time.  The fish was still strong when netted and released back to the river to go make more fish just like it. 

http://picasaweb.google.com/HalfFastPad … utFishing# 

There are a few other fishing and outdoor related albums on my site.  You're welcome to browse around.  Ignore the family wedding and kid birthday albums as they would be boring to anyone not in our family. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Zurf - Don't mean to take thread OT, but my next project looks to be taking place in Staunton, VA. Do you know the area? I believe Southpaw also at one time resided in the vicinity.

I love to fish this time of year, early Spring. Throw a minnow on a bobber (that my kind of fishin - one hand on the rod, one free for the beer), catch some crappie, maybe a largemouth. For me it's more about enjoying the sun and a few cold ones - catching fish is totally optional. I've been known to toss out a bare hook after the minnows run out.

Would be cool to join in on a campfire gathering if Staunton is in your area. The project is still a few months from kicking off. Likely late summer early fall before I'm on-site. Any info on the area would be appreciated!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I've done a little fishing, myself. Chased after them bass tournaments for several years. Won some money - spent way more money than I won. Caught a whole lotta fish and had a whole lotta fun. Got started fishing for catfish a few years back - all with rod n reel. Learned me some stuff about catching the big-uns and I do quite well. Usually catch at least a half dozen over 50 pounds a year. YES - that's what I typed. Our best was a 1 day total of 4 blue catfish that weighed 229 pounds. Now I'm sitting home 'cause my boat has a blown engine.

Nela

Ahhh fishin. can't wait. The season opens April 15th here and one needs to buy a fishing licence. I love to follow stream's and fish for brook trout, it's so peaceful. We have lakes in the area that we catch small mouth bass which is a lot of fun, I like to use popper's for bass and spinners and worm for trout. As young lads we fished in the Atlantic ocean for sea trout,
perch, cod, mackreal , pollock , sculpon, and smelt and my favorite caplin which rushed up on the sandy shore by the thousands. We also would take a large apple juice can, poke holes in it, tie a weight and a piece of perch in it for bait and a rope to it, throw it in the ocean and catch crabs which we would cook right on the shore, we also used old bike rims that we would tie a net to, bait it, and catch lobster which today is illegill to do. These days it's catch and reliese and just for the peacefulness of it all. Hey I must get my tackle box out and see what I need for the up comming season.  cool thread.

Badeye  cool

one caper after another

topdown wrote:

Hey Zurf - Don't mean to take thread OT, but my next project looks to be taking place in Staunton, VA. Do you know the area? I believe Southpaw also at one time resided in the vicinity.

I love to fish this time of year, early Spring. Throw a minnow on a bobber (that my kind of fishin - one hand on the rod, one free for the beer), catch some crappie, maybe a largemouth. For me it's more about enjoying the sun and a few cold ones - catching fish is totally optional. I've been known to toss out a bare hook after the minnows run out.

Would be cool to join in on a campfire gathering if Staunton is in your area. The project is still a few months from kicking off. Likely late summer early fall before I'm on-site. Any info on the area would be appreciated!

Staunton isn't terribly far from my area.  It's not terribly close either.  Let's stay in touch and try to work something out.  Maybe we can get together at a campground.  Jets60 and Oldnewbie are in this area too, and I've never worked it out to meet either of them yet. 

There's good fishing in the Staunton area, particularly if you aren't particular about catching fish. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Any of you fisher's need a license to fish in your area? A license here cost $ 27.50 and is good from April 15th to october 1st. None is needed for the mackreal run in august and june 5th, 6th,and 7th is family fish day and a license is not required . Just curouis.

Badeye    cool

one caper after another

9 (edited by Zurf 2009-03-18 16:50:17)

Yes.  I often have state freshwater licenses from Virginia, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia.  Some years I also get a Maryland.  In-state Freshwater License in Virginia is about $12.50, add another $12.50 for a trout stamp if planning to fish stocked water (I usually don't).  There's another stamp to purchase for fishing in a National Forest, but I don't recall the value.  Out of state licenses for Pennsylvania, Maryland, and West Virginia are a bit more expensive but still affordable.  In the $30 range, I think.  I'll often buy a five-day pass rather than an annual pass, which is a lot less expensive.  For West Virginia, there's an initial cost of $12 or $15/year for an out-of-state, but then you can pay just $3/day for the days you actually fish (advance payment of course, you have to have the valid license on you when fishing). 

Chesapeake Bay licenses are curious.  They are sold for the boat, and are valid for all persons aboard the boat up to the Coast Guard approved maximum occupancy.  This is very convenient for the charter captains, because they license their boat for the year.   That way when their daily customers come aboard, the captain doesn't have to worry about whether the customers are individually licensed.  His boat license covers the customers.  Pretty slick.  The Chesapeake is partly Virginia water and partly Maryland water.  Each state licenses, so captains have to be careful about where they are fishing.  GPS units and marine maps save them a ton of money each year in fines.  It's real easy to drift from one state to the other unawares without them. 

I don't know if there's a saltwater license to fish in Virginia.  I mostly fish salt in North Carolina, and that's been a while.  They were speaking of instituting a license, but I don't know if they ever did.  If so, I'm sure it's affordable.  That's big business for them down there, and they're not going to do anything to interfere. 

- Zurf

What a GREAT thread.
   Next to music, fly fishing is my passion. Been a Fly-Tyer since 1962. If I was to leave right now, in 1 hour, I 'd be catching steelhead in the Big Manistee, just below Tippy Dam. Or, go to the Pere Marquette and float the canoe through miles of prime steelhead shallows. Fly of choice right now would be the Springer's Wiggler. I could go on & on but, in 8 weeks, it'll be brooktrout & Browns for me. Don't get me wrong though, I'll use whatever it takes. From cut bait,worms,minnows,leeches an crayfish to poppers, rubber spiders,leadhead sculphins, nymphs & dry's. Ultra-light spinning in small streams is great too.  TIGHT LINES to all.   

Ron    :-)

Ron

I bought a fly fishing kit last year. So far I have used it twice. First time I used it I caught a wee brownie up the spey dam, second time in a very windy day I gave up after 15 minutes and got the spinning rod out.
I do a lot of spinnig for trout and salmon if i am lucky enough for one to bite up the spey river.
I also go to loch Awe for trout and recently started fishig for pike there too.
Not done it for a few years but I was always sea fishing from the shore or a small boat.

And I started when i was 14 years old down the firth and forth canal fishing for perch.

There are a few...ok loads of other lochs in scotland I fish and rivers but too many to name.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

When I'm in big water, below a dam, windy or not. Typically I won't use a fly rod. I'll use around a 7' to 9' spinning rod with a 8 to 10 lb. main line to a three way swivel,an 8" 6lb. drop line for my split shot with a 24 to 36 inch 2lb to 6lb leader "depending on water clarity" to a springers wiggler or a spawn or yarn fly. With the rod tip slightly raised you want to feel the weight just bouncing along. Drift it thru deep runs or across shallow beds. This works on all anadromous fish from Salmon to Browns. I've even caught suckers and walleye while steeheading with this rig.
  Also, the split shot need to be lightly crimped so if you snag on bottom they will slide off with a firm tug

Ron    :-)

Ron

I love to fish. Just dont like taken the family with me. Its something I like to do alone. Me and my Tio used to go all the time, but since he passed not so much. Got a trip planned in May with my dad. New Mexico's got some of the best fishing in the world (personal opinion). Nothing beats getting away for awhile. I could even careless if I catch anything. I just dig the solitude.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

My favourite pastime outdoors. Nothing like it i say.

I started with my dad who loved sea fishing.   In my teens i was shown how to fly fish on a beautiful river in Cavan.
caught my first  brown trout, that day mayfly fishing. I was hooked. Ive been all over this land fishing. Salmon fishing in the Ridgepool in Ballina to lifford in Donegal. Spelga Dam in County Down is another great spot for fishing. This land is full of rivers and great loughs for fishing.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/logicalrealist/3336408544/

I have a garage full of fishing equipment as we all like to fish, coarse, or fresh water. My rod is a Greys fly fisher . Light as a feather. Lidl or Aldi stores opened here some years ago. They have  a great range of flies for fishing, Sooooooo much cheaper then the fishing tackle shops.

My one big dream is to salmon Fish in Alaska. Its on my list of things to do. whoohoo i cant wait.

http://www.cfb.ie/fishing_in_ireland/up … tm#shtrout

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Doll - you never cease to amaze me. I should have known you were an expert fisherwoman. Good on you! I wish you good luck on your salmon fishing trip to Alaska, something tells me you meet most of your goals. I bet you know how to cook your catches with perfection also!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

lol Topdown.

i guess i learned a lot being reared with 8 brothers.

quite a few of my brothers dont like meat. My Dad was the same.
He showed me how to fillet fish at a young age also.
Yes ! i do cook a good salmon, even if i say so myself. [big grins]

Topdown. in your photo you look like the first guy i fell in love with.
He had long blonde hair. He was a well known DJ here in those days.  Now he is bald as an egg lol and has a major drink problem i believe !. Lucky escape or what ?

Goodnight to you from the Emerald isle.

Old Doll.

17 (edited by Zurf 2009-03-18 23:51:06)

Old Doll wrote:

My one big dream is to salmon Fish in Alaska. Its on my list of things to do. whoohoo i cant wait.

Old Doll.

I'm going in July.  I'll raise a glass to Lena the Magnificent each night after dinner, from another bald man with an affinity for whiskey. 

After the July trip, I will begin figuring ways to save money and work leave to take my family to New Zealand for a couple weeks.  If I can get there, there is no question about whether I will hire a guide for at least one day of trout fishing. 

- Zurf

For you serious guitar players out there you should heed my advice here;

Catfish:

Guitar player can catch 'em but booking agent/manager/guitar technician/groupie/cousin/sister/brother/ really drunk friend MUST remove fish from hook/lure!!!!

Those poisonous whiskers will put a quick end to a potential big money payin' gig. Take good care of your hands!!!! Better safe than sorry, and it's better to be thought of and called a sissy boy who is afraid to handle an evil catfish than to grab ole devil sticker fish, get stuck 2" into palm of fretting hand, go to ER,  miss weekend gigs, and have friends say, " that dude's tough as steel but dumber than a rock"....................

I don't fish much anymore.

Give everything but up.

19 (edited by Old Doll 2009-03-19 07:36:37)

Emerald Green with envy Zurf lol.

Take loads of pictures to post here. I like to see images of the places im destined to visit. It helps with the manifestation of same.

Beautiful mystical dense fog over our Island here this morning. Not good for drivers im sure, but its so peaceful . We get this phenomenon when we get warm sunshine at this time of year.
Just  thought id share this with you all.

Saoll fáda chugat.  [ long life to all.]

Dia Linn

Old Doll.

20 (edited by NELA 2009-03-19 12:54:59)

Several years ago I had the opportunity to fish in Alaska for salmon and halibut. All I can say is "get ready to be impressed". This is one perty place. Be sure to carry a camera and plenty of film. We were a couple of weeks early for salmon but everyone limited out on the halibut (3 days fishing). We flew into Anchorage, rented a van (4 wheel drive) and drove to Homer. BE SURE TO WATCH OUT FOR THE MOOSE, dey everywhere, dey everywhere.
If you have time get, at least some, of your catch smoked (or kippered). The rest can be flash froze and shipped home. Nothing tastes better than fresh smoked fish. This is a trip you will always remember.

Nela

Thanks for the advice NELA.  We're going at what we hope will be the right time for king salmon in the rivers.  We're going to an inland lodge.  Only ten fishermen are permitted per week.  They have several planes.  Each pair of fishermen gets a guide.  We sit down with the guide at dinner each night and figure out where we're going to fish the next day.  The guide works it out with a pilot (if he's not a pilot himself) and then they fly you there for the day of fishing.  The lodge is right on a river, so I'm hoping that I can get a van shuttle upriver a bit and paddle down to the lodge at some point during the trip.  It's pretty much 24 hour sun then, with the middle of the night being no darker than twilight gets in my neck of the woods.  Or so I hear.  Given that, there should be plenty of time to work in some canoeing, if I'm not exhausted from catching large trout and salmon. 

Lena, no worries on the pictures.  My wife gave me a new digital SLR camera outfit for Christmas so that I'll be able to take a bazillion photographs.  I'll be happy to share. 

- Zurf

Thanks for all the great replies, guys (and doll!) - am seriously envious of all of you! But especially Zurf!! My dream locations would be New Zealand, Canada or Cuba (for bonefish on the fly).
As Old Doll will no doubt confirm, fly fishing is a great sport for the fairer sex as well. As I said before, I am happy to give some tuition or help to anyone in the local area or passing through.
Tight lines & strings!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

23 (edited by topdown 2009-03-19 23:09:14)

Reminds me of a great song by Pat Dailey. (Will change all naughty words)

This post appears to violate the chordie policy against posting of lyrics

"Chordie does not host songs. It is a search engine that formats songs it finds on the internet. There are several reasons for this (most of them legal).

Please read FAQs on chordie's 'Resources' page for a longer explanation.

This also means that NO LYRICS can be posted in this forum.

You are however allowed to post links to songs on the internet, and you are allowed to post one-liners explaining how to play a song."

Sorry, tubatooter, I am sure it was an honest mistake. I like Pat Dailey too, but rules are rules. If you have a link to any of his songs with chords & lyrics, I'd love to see it.

Topdown (Jeff)

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Zurf, if you are going to spend some time in the Alaskan Wilderness keep in mind that it is a WILD place to be. If you are going to be away from the wife and family you sometimes decide to take a few chances that you normally would not take, especially if you are around a bunch of males and get into a few of them  adult beverages. Since everything is gonna look look good in Alaska you will want to have a little "personal protection" ready for the unexpected. When you need to take care of bidness you need to take care of bidness. It's also a good idea to have a good partner along with you to watch your back - just in case. Now, the best advise I can give you in picking out partner to help out if you get in a situation you can't get out of is to pick out the toughest one in the bunch. As you walk the riverbanks, streams and lakefronts you never can tell when you will walk upon a bear - thats when you need a tough partner. It'll take the bear longer to eat him, rather than a partner thats young and tender, allowing you to get farther away. Remember that you DO NOT need to outrun the bear BUT you do need to be able to outrun your PARTNER! 

Nela

Good One Nela!

But really I think a 12 guage slug-gun is a required component of your tackle out on the Penninsula.  Personally I favor a 44 Mag 4" (don't beat your leg to death over a days walking) and is quicker to hand if needed.  My bush pilot buddy Roger Adams likes a 454Casull... but it is just a matter of taste.  Keep a sharp eye out and don't trust a guide that just dumps you off on the middle of anywhere and says "I'll be back by sundown".  My wife's uncle had to spend an entire winter up on the North Slope because the weather kept his pilot from being able to make their rendezvous.  Yes he did live to tell the tale, but died of mercury poisoning from drinking from a stream below an old gold mining operation.

Good Fishin' but be safe out there!

Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare