Topic: Palm Muting..

Hi guys,

I've been on chordie for ages but I'm pretty new to the forum.  I'm looking for some advice.  Anything!  I've watched Justin's palm muting but I just cant seem to get it..

Its either..

1.  All strings kind of squeal/screech or,
2. I mute them dead, or
3. A combination of both.

Sounds like the worsty cacophony since the Bard was allowed to play in Asterix!  Its pretty frustrating.  I just wondered if anyone had some hands on experience/advice that they could offer.  Thank in advance.

Joe.

P.S.  Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find anything..

Re: Palm Muting..

I find it helps to just "rest" your palm, as close to the bridge as you can, don't press down too hard!

●████▅▅▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄....▄▄▄
▄▄▅██████▅▄▃▂
█ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █ █►
◥☼▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲☼◤ -Mr T says: Quit yo jibba Jabba! You Ain't hurt!

Hiya   Joe

I aint seen Justins site but I have been experimenting with the palm mutin thing and find it very addictive.
Select a straightforward song you are familiar with and just use the basic down down down down strumming pattern
but on the 3rd beat hit the strings with your plectrum as usual but at the same time hit the strings with
the fleshy bit under yer thumb...persevre it begins to sound almost like a drum beat
bottom line is though keep practicin...boring I know but thats the only way..
A mate of mine (whos plays professionally uses this technique all the time but he has developed it so much when you watch him play you hardly notice his hand position changing and he dampens on the 2 and 4 beats..

Cheers

Tommo

If its too loud yer too old.

4 (edited by LesPaulGuy 2009-01-20 14:40:27)

It's hard to explain palm-muting, it's more of a "feel" that you experience ... the more you do it the easier it becomes ... I never really palm mute on an acoustic (unplugged)

Good explanation though ApeDoctor

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Thanks for the help guys.  Its practice all the way.  I'll try the tactics you guys suggested.

6 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-01-20 21:53:21)

Here's a vid that covers muting.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3qVxpDJvSY He gets into it about half way through. This is the vid I used to learn it when I was first starting. Maybe it'll help.. I haven't seen Justins...
Stuck in the Middle by Steelers Wheel is a good basic chorded song to practise this on.  You'll even find a rough tutorial for it in the chordie tutorial section were I too touch on the muting technique and carry you through the patterns for the song. Sorry for the video quality it was one of my first videos... http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … p;id=84264 Peace! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Pix ... for the life of me, I STILL can't get the rhythm/mute down to that song!

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75