1 (edited by johncross21 2007-08-17 01:14:48)

Topic: Reggae Strum

I have posted a number of strumming patterns here and hopefully have covered  a range of styles.

I have one left in my bag of tricks.

I post a ska strum a while ago. This time I will try reggae. 

The key features of playing reggae are playing on the backbeat and staccato strumming

Playing on the backbeat means that you play the chord on the second beat of the bar and the fourth beat rather than the first and third beats as in Rock.

and in some reggae songs the kick and snare drums are played on the third beat of the bar (this is called a one drop groove). it also produces a slightly laid back feel.

You will see in the example below that the guitar is played on the 2nd and 4th beat

Staccato strums is where you use barre chords and lots of left hand damping. Chords which are damped are indicated with a @. This effect is achieved by releasing the pressure on the frets of the guitar with the left hand  (so you mute the chord  immediately after playing it)

Heres an example of a pattern

1..&..2..&..3..&...4...&
...........@..........@...
........V..n...........V......

Have a look at Junior Murvin and his band playing police and theives

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=19dP84Q4Qus

Another example

1..&..2..&..3..&...4...&
...........@..............@...
........V..n...........V..n.....    

make sure you watch Bob Marley and Peter Tosh in action with a great groove and video  - playing stir it up

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=r0RcXRmqT_k

You will notice that theres a lot of damping (that chicka chicka sound). It gives a very percussive sound

When I play reggae I can't resist adding a bit of extra percussion. Once every bar I slap the strings with the right hand instead of strumming the chord.   

Tell us what you  favorite reggae songs are and how you play them.

Re: Reggae Strum

keep strumming and try vamping it might just give you the sound you want...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Re: Reggae Strum

vamping ? whaddya mean ?